• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Sleepover pricing

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
just wondering what kind of prices do people charge for a sleepover? We are going to do teatime Friday till afternoon Saturday with Christmas themed activities, food, and we need to provide a realistic donation for heating to the church... We suggested £15 but a parent has said they think its steep... (we are a deprived area and get away with £15/full term subs as we have no rent to pay). We believe £15 is cost price on what we want to do...

Chillax

Beginner (10+ posts)
Which section? It's unfortunately going to depend a lot on what your specific activities and food are going to be. I'm just about to run a Rainbow sleepover for £25, but it's quite resource heavy, and the rent of the house we're using is quite high. Also, it's a novelty for the units involved, and they're getting 3 badges each. However, I've run Beaver sleepovers (heavily subsidised) for £5, and others for £15, depending on accommodation, prior resources, and what we have in the bank.

Batty Owl

Veteran (100+ posts)
That would be about normal for our Brownie sleepovers. As Chillax has said you just have to add up rent/heating, food and activity costs (crafts etc) and divide by the number people going. You could possibly save a bit by having them bring a packed tea on the Friday. Good luck.

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
It will vary so much on your outgoings but honestly I don't think £15 is steep at all for overnight childcare. We've done 2 overnights this year and they've cost £20-25, and we're going away for a weekend shortly that's come in at £45. It costs what it costs and while you do what you can, if the parent wants the child to go they will find a way.

Perhaps you need to look at how you collect the money? £3 a week for 5 weeks and you've got it sorted, for example. £1.50 for 10 weeks...£5 for 3 weeks....

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
As the hall heating donation is essentially fixed (in that it'll be the same no matter how many girls you have), the more girls you have, you could look at lowering the price slightly. So you could tell the parent that it's £15 but dependant on numbers?

And £15 is super cheap by the way, especially when it could be part of the child's Christmas present.

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
it is for brownies, I think our parents are sooo used to us doing everything super cheap but at the end of the day it costs what it costs. Its why we struggle to offer the division weekend trips as these are often £60plus...We do try and help those we know are in need, (and have found ways to help them pay what is affordable and division has helped these families previously where we can prove hardship) but I do know this particular family are relatively one of the better ones financially.

I don't know if this particular family are trying to make a point for some reason (probably the cost of everything at Christmas) , We work so hard to make everything affordable for all. I help at another brownie group literally 1 mile a way and everything there is double the cost and there's never a complaint. we want the kids to make things this time to keep (previous sleepovers have used old resources, or involved a community project hence costs were lower) and this needs more resource hence costs more. We dont usually offer a winter one, so we have added heating costs. We have already said we will refund the parents if we don't use all the money.

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
If £15 is what it is going to cost, then that is how much you have to charge unless you alter what you do.

You have said you want the girls to make things, are you thinking of using the craft suppliers who have preprepared kits? Could you find alternatives?
Food, I don't know what shop you use for food, but could you buy supermarket brands if you don't already do that, or use lidl/aldi.
Heating, you cannot avoid and that is essential so there is no getting over that, although lots of running around generates heat.

Maybe show the parent concerned a breakdown of the costs, and how much per hour it will be for you to give her child an overnight adventure i.e less than £1 per hour!

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I was going to say £15 is "expensive" if you have no money - whereas its dirt cheap if you're a millionaire. Although I see you think they're one of the "better-off" ones.

But, yes, it'll cost what it costs. Establish the donation for hall hire / heating. Kids bring sandwiches etc for their evening meal, and maybe even something for breakfast. Yes, that still costs the parents something - but they can do it at their own idea of cost. Thereafter, you've just got craft / resource costs - and you can vary those as much as you like.

If you get real resistance, which then maybe you need to consider that a winter event (if it costs more because of heating) isn't practical, and / or the resources need be simpler. You say you want to give the kids something to keep - maybe a memory of a good time is genuinely more important. And I don't mean that as a twee sentiment. Maybe time spent with these kids will be more valuable than a craft item.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I take Copperchicks point in that £15 to those with no money is a fortune but lets put this in context. That's a little over two hours work at minimum wage, about 4 pints of beer or two packets of cigarettes. If you have no money then it is still too much but you are offering 24 hours of enjoyment, food and an experience which will help a girl grow in confidence, learn new skills and make new friends.

Don't be put off by a parents comment, she may have an ulterior motive, if a parent has difficultly meeting the fees you can talk to her about paying over a period of time or maybe she can help for applying for a grant from a council or local charity which could subsidise it. But don't underestimate or undervalue what a sleepover can mean to a child. And don't reduce your standards on food or accommodation to make it affordable for one girl, cutting corners can reduce the impact for all, no one wants hungry or cold girls and that is what they would remember.

kirstyr

Veteran (100+ posts)
I take all of your points on board. £15 to these kids isn't a lot when schools are charging £150 upwards for school residentials,majority go to 2 or 3 other out of school activities which are more than £5/week. Most will have 1-2 meals out per week, and i bet at least half went on a long haul flight to usa, or beyond in the summer. We have some deprived kids, but we only do one sleepover a year, so it probably is the only extra throughout the year (and would br happy to spread the cost through the term if needed) We continue to charge our brownies just £1/week and half of that goes on census. We dont offer a lot of extra trips as we know the families we have probably can't all afford. We are the only unit in the division which is this deprived, hence we are unable to partake in a lot of division activities (adventure weekends, theme parks etc as they are all £30/day plus) We give all our brownies a second hand uniform upon joining and they are free to pick a larger size if they can't afford to buy when they grow. Most go on and buy their own and give the old back but some do need to use our supplies. In the past if we know finances are really stopping someone coming the leaders have been known to pay for that brownie (rightly or wrongly - the parents never know the money came from us) or school or division have used hardship funds. We always encourage parents to come and speak to us.

I do think this particular parent had some other motive - but not sure what!! we have broken the budget down for him, and also where the weekly subs go, so he can see the money does get spent wisely. We do get all supplies very cheaply so the money will not get wasted. we do also fundraise to allow us to perhaps spend a bit more on a train ride in the summer for instance, or get someone in to do a dance class or even pay for leaders on benefits to get their first response.

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
If you have explained all this to the parent concerned, then it is up to him to choose whether his child goes to the sleepover or not. If you need to charge £15, then do, and he can make his own decision

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
Let's put this into perspective from a low income household point of view. I don't work as I am my son's carer. I receive Carer's Allowance £62.70 and Income Support £45 per week, plus child tax credits and DLA (care only - the mobility money pays for the lease car). My children don't go without, as I budget carefully. I still pay council tax, although at a reduced rate, and I don't get much help with my mortgage. House and contents insurance, bills, food, etc all have to be paid as well, just like any other household. I do get free prescriptions and free school meals though. I receive £20 per calendar month in maintenance from my ex.

My boys were in Scouting and during their time in Cubs, they had a weekend away every three months. Both went every time.

I don't drink or smoke. I buy clothes and shoes when necessary, not just because I fancy a new top or some more sandals. I have a small amount of savings, so that if anything goes pear shaped I can afford to pay for a repair or replacement.

My boys' needs come first. £15 for a sleepover is not expensive. You are already charging very little for weekly meetings - I don't know how you manage to pay Census from £1 per girl per meeting. Our Census last year was £27.50. With an average of 39 meetings a year, Census costs 70p per week per girl, and that's before you take leaders' costs into account. Room hire (for us) costs another 63p a week per girl. That's £1.33 so far, without any activities, resources, leaders' Census, printing and photocopying, or any other costs.

TBH, I think this parent is taking the proverbial. Running a unit (or in this case, an event) costs money. You have priced it up and explained the costings. You cannot do kore than that. It is now up to the parent to decide whether to pay up (and you have offered installments), or keep his child from attending. You cannot do any more. Please don't compromise your event for one parent who wants everything for nothing. Your price is very reasonable.

I say all this whilst living in a deprived area, and Guiding for over ten years in one of the miost deprived areas in the country - we moved premises last year, but previously were two miles up the road in an area that has been in the top 2% of deprived areas for over twenty five years.

Put on your sleepover at the price you have costed, and let the parent decide whether to send their child. If it was only £5, they would probably still complain!

Burghilly

Veteran (100+ posts)
It may also be that some people are only willing to pay for 'stuff' they can actually see.

I used to help out in Yr 6 in a primary school and they were due to go to an outward bound centre for a few days. The price was reasonable and parents could pay in installment etc. Most pupils were going but one especially was not. The parents didn't think the trip was worth paying for.

They were however perfectly happy to fork out for their children to have the latest iPhone a few weeks later.

It's a shame that some people can't see the huge value in children have experiences and memories that may well last a lifetime.

Lemon13

Beginner (10+ posts)
We usually charge £30-£35 for 2 nights and charge £20 for one night (I believe the sleepover we did a couple of years ago was £20 as well) we go to a village hall do crafts and games. I also try and make it 2 full days if only one night but accommodation wise, it costs the same whether they get two full days or an evening and a day. This year we are doing a sleepover in London (we are based in Dorset) and I'm charging £90 as that is how much it is going to cost. Not a single parent complained about that as we are doing 1 expensive activity (Kidzania) and 1 free activity aswell as getting the train and going on the underground, etc. (granted we live in a fairly affluent area, although have 1 girl on hardship and we are paying half for her) payment is by instalment over the year. £15 for a sleepover sounds about right to me, don't worry about one parents comment, worry if you have very poor take up!