• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Sleepover Venue for big brownie pack

kimberleybrownies

Beginner (10+ posts)
Hi,

I'm a leader from a brownie pack in Nottingham, and in the last year we have become quite a large Brownie pack. I was wondering if anyone knows there is anywhere in the local area (Midlands / Sheffield) that would take a group of 28 girls and enough adults for ratio numbers? :)

We have used Hanson House before when we had a smaller pack size, but now can't accommodate all of us, and we like to give all of the girls the opportunity to come away with us, even if they don't take up the opportunity.

We're desperate for somewhere that can accommodate us, that is not camping (we're guiders who love to come back indoors to sleep!).

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know :)

Thanks

sweetsazzy2003

Veteran (100+ posts)
Has anyone ever used Glenbrook / Derwent in Derbyshire? Have seen it could hold us all / is local but wondered if it is any good?
I took my brownies (kimberley brownies which I used to help run) to glenbrook we stayed in the house, it was really nice and there is a massive field at the back with an adventure playground on and you can go bouldering as well, the only downside is it doesnt have a seperate messy room to dining room, you have to tidy every thing away and then get the tables out to eat etc and can be abit of a sqeeze. They have a living room but dont like you to get messy in there as it's just a place for a sing song etc it was really good when we went before. x

labrador

Asst Guide Leader
I took my brownies (kimberley brownies which I used to help run) to glenbrook we stayed in the house, it was really nice and there is a massive field at the back with an adventure playground on and you can go bouldering as well, the only downside is it doesnt have a seperate messy room to dining room, you have to tidy every thing away and then get the tables out to eat etc and can be abit of a sqeeze. They have a living room but dont like you to get messy in there as it's just a place for a sing song etc it was really good when we went before. x
There have been a lot of changes at Glenbrook in the last year, I think you would find it a bit more relaxed now. There's a new website with more info on it:
www.glenbrookguides.co.uk

Hi, we are also a big unit and last year because all the girls wanted to go away we had to do 2 nights consecutively to accomodate everyone. This year we are going to White Post Farm for a sleepover. The cost isn't that cheap but it includes the sleepover from the Friday 6pm and a whole day at the park, with a guide until 2pm. If you give them ring they are very helpful on the phone. We have also gone to PGL (once with the Brownie exclusive weekend and twice on our own) and had the most wonderful time, the staff are great, they do the organising and the food and as leaders who work this is a blessing. The girls love it and we just enjoying being with the girls and watching them really challenge themselves and make wonderful memories.

Barmey-cat

Beginner (10+ posts)
I stopped in Derwant at Glenbrook last year. Lots of room for girls & leaders, a nice big room for crafts/eating upstairs, and the girls got slightly muddy on the assault course. (There was a foot of snow when we arrived, so mud was inevitable!)

I've also done Topstones at Leicester, but cant remember how many it sleeps. Good site, lots of onsite activities.

I'll have 30 next year, but the last 2 years they have not all wanted to go, so going back to Hanson House!

Depends how far you want to go. Needwood campsite has a fabulous holiday house for a scout campsite. we went last year and was amazed by it. Also Beaudesert Park scout and guide campsite haa a larger holiday house on the guide part of the site called Owls Nest.

guiderlinda

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hi Kimberley

have you looked at the local Scout campsites?

In addition to Walesby Forest (the Notts campsite) there's also John's Lee Wood in Leicester (the Alan Gutteridge and Harry Walker buildings would be ideal for you) and Shacklewell Hollow (which might be tight for your ratios but is a brilliant site if you can persuade some people to camp) near Rutland Water.

I also highly recommend Hesley Wood - I think it's the best campsite I've ever used.

Linda