• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? So much spam

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
I read new posts on Guiders each day, but recently the 'New Posts' has been full of spam threads. I know it's easy to ignore them, but today there were eighteen. It's getting ridiculous.

I don't know much about website maintenance, but would it be possible for new posters to have their first threads approved before they are posted? Or would this be more work than removing all of the spam threads?

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I don't know but as one of the mods who deletes all these threads I'd like to know what else we can do.
Please continue to 'report' spam and threads where a genuine user has posted an email address as these do attract such things I understand.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Is it possible to remove the limit between reporting posts please? I try and report everyone that I come across but when there are lots of posts having to wait thirty seconds can be off putting.

And thanks for modding :)

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
I just want to add a thank you because I also check throughout the new posts and have seen these spam messages filling up the list. By the next time I log in, they are gone. Someone is doing that - thank you for your giving your time to keep Guiders running.

kingfisherblue

Veteran (100+ posts)
I don't know but as one of the mods who deletes all these threads I'd like to know what else we can do.
Please continue to 'report' spam and threads where a genuine user has posted an email address as these do attract such things I understand.
Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate the time you spend on the site. It's unfortunate that Guiders seems to be a target for spam at the moment. I was hoping that there was an answer that would save your time. I'm not tech savvy enough to know the answer, if there is one.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Thanks all, it is a team effort, mods will all delete spam and such as and when we come across it. I hate going online to look at a forum to find either it has been overwhelmed with spam or neglected by it's users, it feels like an elephants graveyard. So keeping Guiders clean and up to date is important to me and many others.

I'm sure my more techy mods will come up with something to try and keep one step ahead of those pesky robots at somepoint but 'we're all volunteers' as they say. so happy Volunteers week to all...

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
Can you not disable posting by a new member until they have been verified by an admin?
Usually easy to change the settings to do this, but more work to put into practice! Depending on the number of new sign-ups, it can be a lot of work for moderators to give each more than a cursory glance before approving, and it's not always easy to tell from sign up info whether an account is genuine or not (my own profile has almost no information on as I value my online privacy, so it's only by my posts that people can judge whether or not I'm a real person involved in guiding). Plus, having to wait hours or days to make their first posts can be demoralising for genuine new members, who may go away and forget to come back after registering if they find themselves unable to post. In the early days of online guiding forums, this site grew far more rapidly and was far more popular than the heavily moderated official forum, almost certainly because it was so much more accessible to new members, so it's always going to be a trade off between giving easy access to the right people and keeping the wrong ones out!

Epona

Veteran (100+ posts)
I sympathise. But you could maybe ask new members to make their membership card their avatar until posting privilege was turned on? It might be an easy visual check?

Foxi

Guide Guider
Blimey! the mods are going to be busy, have reported an numbe of spam posts but there are so many I can't work out which I have reported & which I haven't!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Yes, a busy couple of days for spam deletion. I've also deleted a couple of posts which contain members emails....