1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Someone to go on holiday with

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by stephrutt, May 1, 2015.

1. stephrutt

stephrutt Regular (50+ posts)

Hello, I am looking for some advice. I'm thinking of going travelling (around a month so nothing major) but don't really want to go by myself. My friends are all broke (or married, or both) and so I am looking for alternatives. Has anyone used travel companion sites, solo traveller tours or similar that can give me some advice.

I'm 36 so don't really want to go with a group of gap year students.

Thanks

2. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

I was going to suggest a Contiki tour, but they only go up to 35 :(

Have you thought about doing something like Sailing with the Jubilee Sailing Trust (For example) then doing a few weeks after that? They go to some pretty exciting places, and then you might have companions for half...

All my friends who have been travelling seem to have no problems with meeting new people/getting people to travel a little bit with.

I wish I could afford to travel more!

3. lw26

lw26 Beginner (10+ posts)

Hi,

I have done plenty of solo travelling, in various forms. So feel free to ask any questions.

I have done the fly somewhere, book into a hostel and moved around on my own. Staying in hostels meant I had people to talk to and could arrange to do things with other people, but I could do my own thing too.

I did conservation volunteer work in New Zealand for a month too, which was a great way to see some of the country I would never have seen had I just gone there for a holiday on my own.

I have also done organised tours (mainly in countries where transport was harder to organise on my own, either would be less safe or less convenient) - overland in south america and africa, group tours in vietnam and cambodia and morocco. I would suggest looking around at tours that interest you, either countries you want to go or things you want to do and then check if they charge a single supplement.

I have always gone with companies that do not charge a single supplement, this usually means you share with someone else on the tour who also opted not to pay the single supplement, or when travelling overland, we did a lot of camping. I have met lots of wonderful people on my travels who I have stayed friends with on my return. On the Go Tours offer some good tours and there are plenty of overland tours around.

Good luck and enjoy wherever you go :)

4. Cathy

Cathy Veteran (100+ posts)

I'm 32 and single, I love the travelling and visiting new places! Exodus, Explore and Intrepid all do interesting 'small group tours' (some of which are for solo travellers only) which in my experience have an interesting mix of people to get to know. Intrepid in particular do longer tours and are more geared at using one of their tours while you are away on a longer trip.

Personally, I love travelling by myself (and not just on a small group tour). There is something very selfish in spending your holiday time doing whatever you want to do and not having to worry about other people!

5. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

I am younger than you (25) but I did some solo travelling in the US when I was 20. Although I am young, I am not the partying type and definitely like my sleep. I stayed in hostels and found it was quite easy to chat to other solo travellers. I loved travelling on my own because you get so much more done. You aren't having to come to an agreement over what you are going to do when. The only times I wish I had a companion were when I was eating in restaurants. That can be a bit lonely!

6. FPG

FPG Veteran (100+ posts)

I have to say, travelling on your own doesn't mean you will be on your own. People are much more welcoming and considerate towards solo travellers and make more of an effort to connect and involve you, whereas when you're travelling with a companion people tend not to see any reason to bother trying to connect or help, so chances are you wouldn't be alone for long. People will take you under their wing if you let them. Especially if you join tours or group activities. As soon as the people on the tour (be it a few hours or a few days) realise a group member is on their own they suddenly make a huge effort to include you. So if you mix things up between stuff you're happy wandering around on your own for (eg take advantage of not having to compromise or miss things that you love but that bore your travel companion!) and stuff you can join up with others for, you get the best of both worlds.

And I say this as someone who was previously terrified of travelling on her own, but now love it. Absolute freedom.

7. lilone

lilone Brownies LiT

Two or three years ago, I did some solo traveling as part of a small tour group in Iceland. Had a great time. It was through Discover the World and they offer a varied mix of small groups tours in a number of countries. I also looked into volunteering holidays through other companies, though I never got round to booking one (maybe one day). You can do all sorts. I looked into reef conservation where you could get a diving qualification, wildlife protection, rainforest conservation... Just make sure any company you use is ATOL and ABTA protected and that you get adequate insurance for whatever you're doing.

8. Katie R

Katie R Beginner (10+ posts)

I went to Africa on my own for 5 weeks, 4 of which were with the company Dragoman. There were lots of single travellers on our tour so I didn't feel like the odd one out and had a great time. I also had a week on my own which in hindsight was a little unsafe. Wouldn't do that again in Africa as I was targeted by men who were hoping I'd fall in love and bring them back to England! All depends where you are wanting to go.

9. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

Join 5W. Then you can find people to travel with or travel alone and have people to visit in lots of lovely places.

YiG Liz

10. Foxi

Foxi Guide Guider

I have just returned from a holiday to Ecuador and Peru with Dragoman thanks to this post that Katie R wrote (I too traveled alone). The trip was amazing and the way it was organised was in some ways very similar to Girlguiding. If anyone is looking for a holiday I would really recommend them - despite the terrible jet-lag I now have!