• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Steping down

kayaking_girl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Having been a AG/GIC for nearly 9 years due to a relocation to a new area and a new job I plan (if I find a unit) to let Guiding take a back burner in my life and just be a UH. However I have tired doing this before and with in 6 weeks of being there I was GIC of one unit and AG for another unit and a UH for another unit. With in 4 months of being there I was on the county exc.

Has anyone successfully managed to step down from being a GIC to a UH?
any advice on how to step down?

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
No, I'm afraid when I moved areas and decided to take a step back I started as occasional leader, went onto Assistant leader (soon to be GiC when current one retires), set up a new SS unit, became a mentor and am now DC too... it all backfired on me!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
It starts with stating clearly what commitment you are willing to give - i.e. I can attend meetings regularly/most weeks/occasionally/occasionally at short notice to cover absences/for a specified period. I am/am not able to do unit admin/preparation for meetings/other out of meeting work. I am/am not able to attend outings/residentials.

If you can state clearly what you are offering, then the Commissioner will be better able to find the right role for you. And if you've made clear willing/able to do, then you need feel no guilt at turning down requests for extra tasks.

Pipit

Brownie/Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
If you can state clearly what you are offering, then the Commissioner will be better able to find the right role for you. And if you've made clear willing/able to do, then you need feel no guilt at turning down requests for extra tasks.
and there in hangs the rub! It is then up to you not to keep doing that little bit extra because no-one else will. Stick to what you've said. If you don't, little bit will add to little bit until you are right back where you started!!

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
And what Pipit said maybe the hardest thing to do. It's incredibly hard to stand back and not do certain things as a leader.

We've recently re-opened a Brownie unit, one of the UH's used to be a Brownie leader and it shows. Nothing bad, she runs games, get's involved etc but she has the 'aura' if that's right of a leader, the UH's stack the chairs, do the washing up, this lady will stand in the ring as the leaders. I'm not saying that's bad just that she see's the role as being a semi-leader.

I think once you've been in charge and making the decisions, it's hard to take that step back and do the mundane stuff.

Snowy Pink Owl

The Doctor (5000+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I've never stepped down but I can imagine it's hard, as people have said, it will all depend on you holding your ground and not doing more than you want to

kayaking_girl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Thanks for the help guys.

Saying no and also not feeling like i am letting the girls down was the hardest part last time I tryed to step down.
I am not saying I dont ever want to go back to being a AG or GIC however think when it comes to the first few months of living in a new area and living I need to develop a good work/ guiding/ time for my self balance. Saying that I do want to get involved in guiding as soon as a move as i think it will help me settle into a area/ community quicker. just think a honest to the point discussion needs to be said early on.

bryony

Guide and Ranger Guider
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Sounds very sensible, sorry my last answer wasn't helpful! I should add it's taken 5+ years to get to that... and if you are clear and stick to your plan from the start that's a great start...

I managed it!! After a lot of thought and due to a combination of events (both my AGs left, me wanting to spend time planning for my wedding, planning to move home and just getting a bit fed up with lack of support from brownie parents) I gave my DC a years notice having been GiC for 7 years and YL for about 5 years before that! No new leaders came forward despite several pleas for help, but I stuck to my guns (which was incredibly hard) and very sadly my old brownie unit closed when I left :(

I had a complete break from GG for 5 years and enjoyed spending time doing all the things I planned to do. However towards the end of this time I started to miss feeling a part of GG, so having moved areas I approached my local DC via GG website initially wanting to become a UH, however I became GiC straight away as a brownie pack was about to close (rushed through renewing ALQ). I gained my brownie holiday licence last year and can honestly say that I love being a GiC and have great enthusiasm for all things GG once again!

I would recommend taking a complete break, and not volunteering as a UH or anything else until you have had the time you need for yourself. I think you can break from GG for 3 years without having to renew ALQ, alternatively would your present DC agree to give you an admin role to keep you active on census until you take on a GG role in the new area? (so as to avoid loosing your ALQ) Just a suggestion... Good Luck x

kayaking_girl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Hello,

So i have been in the dry (never thought i would say this but really miss the the rain) warm south for almost 2 months!! I thought i would feed back on how my steping down was getting on.

My new unit is great they are so organised that I could easiy just turn up with out doing anything to help at all!

However the issue def is with me, since moving down I have helped a guider friend with her summer camp ( guider became ill the first moring there) and helped take another friends girls to big gig (AG became ill the firday before hand). I have helped with several friends scouts units (well they needed some one to take them kayaking/ needed a female leader or the trip would not happen) and have been of a few network camps! But suppose that issue may came from moving to a new area where everyone you know is from SSAGO!

Also at county training lass week i went and found the out door activity team to ask if the wanted another set of hands with quals to help out!

What can a say Guiding is in my blood and keeps me happy!! And officaly I am just a unit helper/ ocasional helper does it matter that is is for quite a few units! Main thing currenlty is that i am not letting anyone down if I am just to busy to do something or life changes again :D:heart:

Last edited: