• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Talk to my about your dream Division Commissioner

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Wow ...what a task. Dream Div Comm...someone who is knowledgable about Guiding and People. There to encourage and support. To give a word when things are not going as they should and a shoulder when they aren't..

They give you chance to shine and a leg up to those with skills to share, but those with experience are given their time to pass on their skills without dominating things.

Personally though a good Division Commissioner is a product of a good Division. A team of people that will work together to support each other though the good times and the rough ones. When a job needs doing, they don't argue that it is this Districts turn or they get more girls going than we do. When new leaders come along, there is a good support network of people to share their experiences, encourage to go with them to trainings or District Meetings... The Div Comm is simply the leader of all these people who make her look good.

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Approachable, passionate about Guiding and supporting the volunteers in her area. Has up to date knowledge but some idea about the past (so when someone asks if their old warrant card can be reproduced she knows what on earth she’s talking about).

Able to admit that she isn’t sure and she’ll check and get back to you, and that she is using Guiding knowledge to make decisions not her personal thoughts and feelings.

Not something I have encountered personally, but she shouldn’t be a revered/unchallenged figure who is elected as a result of age/time in Guiding as opposed to purely on ability. Or someone who has “pet” volunteers/units/districts.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Someone who is willing to listen to Guiders rather than take a complaint word for word.

(I've had 2 complaints from parents in 10 years as a Guider, one went to DivC and one to CC. One of them immediately told the parent that yes she could have X, without checking the facts with me first. One investigated and asked us all for contributions and information before getting back to the parent and saying the complaint wasn't upheld, apart from the parts that we couldn't tell due to lack of evidence. The first one had to go on and say "oops I didn't have all the information" and sort it out at her level rather than unit level as she'd been telling me to. Which she could have found out had she asked me first instead of immediately agreeing with the parent...)

And someone willing to listen to Guiders on the ground about organisational issues (where we need a unit, which units might work well together as a District, what joint events have worked well, that kind of thing). I've had good and bad leadership on those types of things in the past too.

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Someone who's not part of the clique - but that's how she gets in, so, accepting that she is, someone who will still work with and value the Guiding of a person who is not.

Betty Brownie

Brownie Guider
Thanks for your replies everyone. I’m asking because I’ve just been asked to be a DiV Com for a Division I don’t know very well at all. I’m a very experienced Guider and have previously been a Commissionner but have recently moved to a new area and have been asked to take on this role. So I’m definitely not part of the clique Kochanski! I know most of one District but I will be new to everyone else. CC says she feels this will be to my advantage as I’m a fresh face, but I was just keen to hear the kinds of things people value in their Div Com. Hope I can live up to them! Thanks all. BBx

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Thanks for your replies everyone. I’m asking because I’ve just been asked to be a DiV Com for a Division I don’t know very well at all. I’m a very experienced Guider and have previously been a Commissionner but have recently moved to a new area and have been asked to take on this role. So I’m definitely not part of the clique Kochanski! I know most of one District but I will be new to everyone else. CC says she feels this will be to my advantage as I’m a fresh face, but I was just keen to hear the kinds of things people value in their Div Com. Hope I can live up to them! Thanks all. BBx
I'm sure that you will be a great Div C. Being new is a definate advantage, no prejudices, no preconceptions, chance to get to know everyone and what works and what doesn't.

Having your CC's confidence is a great confidence builder...

From my experience being Div C is easier than being a District Commissioner. You shouldn't get all the day to day niggles, a clearer picture of what issues are but a chance to make a difference. The problems that you will get to deal with though, will be tougher. You will get support from County though and a chance to have an impact on how the County works too...It is a privilege - enjoy it..

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk