• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Tell me about your meeting place... :)

Little A

Veteran (100+ posts)
Brownies, Guides and SS meet in the community room of the local primary school as when our hut was closed the church could not accommodate us. It's not a huge room but has been serving us well, although we are running out of space as the guide unit grows. It's half carpet half lino, but there is nothing to clean or hoover with. We have access to a kitchen sink and a toilet. There are no cooking facilities, no storage and much less outdoor space now that slimming world are meeting in the school hall cos we can no longer play on the empty car park. We pay £12 a session.

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
Have to admit having a wooden floor has it's benefits and bad points.

Good points:
Fairly easy to clean
Don't have to worry about dropping paint on it
can use chalk on the floor when we're playing certain games (brushes/washes off fairly easily).

Bad points:
Girls have to wear shoes, just in case of splinters
Nightmare to clear glitter off from as it goes in between the planks of wood (hence why I don't use the stuff).
Can get slippery when wet
Adds to the echo/noise of the room (which can be an advantage as well).

Wouldn't change the building though, it's fully functional for what I need to do on a weekly basis with quite a bit for storage.

bexter

Veteran (100+ posts)
e have a church hall. it has a large main room with a kitchen off it. it also has two smaller rooms off it as well. one is used for craft and the pre promise girls go in there at brownies. we don't use the other one at brownies. it has 2 toilets.

nikifm

Aka - Roly Mole and LaLa [=
For brownies we meet in the nursery building of the local primary school. Not sure how much we pay but we have a decent sized cupboard for all our resources, use of 2 decent sized rooms and kitchen use (as long as we tidy up)

For guides we meet in the church hall and pay £10 every night we're in. Reduced for us because we're a charity. With this we have a shelf in the cupboard (decent sized shelf - can fit 5-6 storage boxes on it) a decent sized room and a kitchen to use [=

they call me tulip

Veteran (100+ posts)
My Rainbows and Brownies meet in a local church hall (we are open sponsored). We pay £10 per meeting (don't pay in holidays or when we go out). We get the whole hall to ourselves.
It is one large rectangle hall that can be partitioned off into 3 smaller rooms (2 are still large enough to be used on their own) at one end there is a kitchen (we regularly use it, but not very well equiped) then there is a long corridor that runs alongside the rooms that has storage rooms and toilets (M,F and disabled) and 2 storage rooms. Brownies have 2 large wardrobe type cupboards in one of the store rooms and rainbows have 1 cupboard in the room we meet in. We both have large notice boards. It also has an intercom on the front door. It's basic but in good condition and (since after school club moved out 2 years ago) very clean. We also have plenty of chairs and tables

Brownies meet in a primary school. We have the assembly hall, and once Rainbows have cleared away we can expand into the dining hall if we need to, and also use the library space outside the hall for smaller groups (eg GFI Brownies). We have no kitchen facilities but can use the staff room microwave if desperate. They've recently taken away the water fountain so we cannot get to it in the winter (its outside now, and always pitch black!) but as long as the girls bring a water bottle themselves thats not a problem. On the plus side we have an absolutely gigantic cupboard which they built for us when they removed our old (tiny) one as part of refurbishment - however its always blocked by table tennis tables, musical instruments, or whatever other clobber the school have been using.

Biggest bugbears? They've just whacked the prices up to nearly £50 a week (even with our 50% discount), and they view our booking as 'optional' so will often put other meetings in when we are supposed to be there. Its like they dont want us there - and charge a fortune on poor facilities to show that plainly.

Pipit

Brownie/Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Both Brownies & Guides share a disused building in school grounds. It’s an open plan school; hence we’re not allowed to meet in the main building. The building consists of 2 fairly average sized classrooms, one carpeted and one lino with enough table & chairs for about 30 but all in one room so the other is fairly clear for games. The classrooms each have a large walk in cupboard & notice boards that we are free to use and are joined by a reception area with a kitchen sink, water heater and toilets/wash rooms. The one classroom has a kettle, fridge & microwave we can use too. We also have free run of the school grounds including football pitches, 4 playgrounds, 3 playdales (sort of mini assault courses), a walled garden and a small area of rough woodland. Not to mention two large car parks. We have permission from the head teacher for raised fires on the playgrounds.
The school only use the building for the occasional staff meetings or similar and they are keen to see it not go to waste. We get our rent paid my Staffordshire youth services but if we had to pay it would be £15 per hour and we currently have it from 6pm until 9pm.

We limit unit sizes to 15 so that we can still play running games in a single room in the winter when it is too dark & cold to be out on the playground all the time. Although we often get worried about not having space for girls on the waiting list when they turn 7/10 we always seem to loose just the right amount of girls at the right time and maintain a pretty good status quo with full units & the only girls waiting not yet being of age. If that changed significantly we may look elsewhere for something bigger but with so much outdoor space and, effectively, no rent we would be reluctant to move.

exile

Veteran (100+ posts)
Brownies have the church hall (old wooden floor place but linked to church now with other rooms. well maintained.
Guides have the next door room (and Rainbow one upstairs). we pay £11 per hour (so £16.50 for 1.5 hours) which has been tight with low numbers...........

always nice and warm. No cupboard for GUides (we are new). no access to kitchen unless we pay extra.

Tregi

Veteran (100+ posts)
community centre with staff there to answer door during meeting times.
large room, which can be partitioned (but not very well) to a large side and a smaller time. kitchen which has microwave, kettle, toaster, cooker (but only top oven and hobs work).
we have a metal cupboard which (finally) has 4 shelves in for all our meeting stuff, and a space in the loft and store room where we store camp stuff. Brownies have a larger cupboard space, but everything has to be on shelves as they share it with the floor cleaners!
we pay about £8-10 per session (hour and a half) but they charge more normally.

Dolly

Veteran (100+ posts)
We used to be in an old-fashioned hut in the grounds of a closed down schoool - the hut was let by the local Christian fellowship, and one of their movers-and-shakers just happened to be a guider. It was rent free, they gave us a massive cupboard, free use of kitchen, it was cosy and comfy, and had a lovely big outdoor space. Sadly it was also a crime-magnet. Another member of the CF. is a local businessman who has a 1960s office building, and he has very kindly let us - rent free - use the building for rainbows, brownies and guides. However, we have one small cupboard for the 3 units, no outdoor space (unless you count Lidl's carpark over the road), the building is in a dark back street, and every week we arrive to find some petty complaint against our name....... we might've forgot to have wiped the white board for instance, or tissues have been left lying around in the loos. I wouldn't mind this if it wasn't for the fact the kitchen and loos - and to some extent the meeting rooms - swing somewhere between grubby and b****y filthy. Our neighbouring unit has a great church hall at their disposal, and we were going to throw our lot in with them, but we're stuck on which night we can have. We'd love a church hall with a little kitchen and a bit of grass outside (and a patient and forgiving vicar who is up for a laugh would be good too!!!!) I like the idea of paying rent based on 50p a girl, which I noticed above. The church I went to as a kid is youth-group-less, so our next move I suppose might be in their direction.

We share our hut with the scouts (well the scouts rent it to us) so we store everything there. But our side of stores isnt locked and some of our stuff has gone walkies. Therefore we have started to bring our own equipment, that way we know we have what we need! Though we are looking at relocating as the state of the hut which the scouts have left it in is appalling, they put a sign up to say we couldnt touch the heating, we found mice in our cupboards, the toilets were covered in wee etc, their stuff as been across our side of stores meaning we cant get to our equipment. The list goes on. We do have outside space to use in good weather, its woodland which is great for tresure hunts and hide and seek. We also have a open grass area we use. We have a bigish hall with a smaller room at the side. As Rainbows, Brownies and Guides overlap this comes in handy! We have a kitchen too.

Jenbug

Veteran (100+ posts)
We have the local school hall for Brownies and Guides. We have a large school hall, there is some storage space for us but we don't tend to use it only because things would go missing etc.
We have use of the Kitchen if needs be. We have used Classrooms before without an issue.
We have the school fields, playground etc.
Not sure how much we pay as GIC sorts all of that, I really should pay some attention to that.....hmm

Senior Section use......my house. A small lounge with a small garden....not ideal but until we get more girls they really can't afford rent on anywhere else.

Pipit

Brownie/Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
Quite a few units seem to meet in primary schools, but not many seem to meet in secondary schools...
All the high schools by us also double up as the local sports centre so, apart from charging an arm & a leg for hire (my son's footy teams pay £30 for 1 hour's trainning time in the winter!) they tend to be fully book with 5-a-sdie, batminton, zumba, gym, martial arts, etc.

Smartie

Mod and wearer of many hats!!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
My potential new unit has a lovely meeting place.

It's a church hall, which is really big, with a few tables and chairs always set up (there is still plenty of room!)

There is also another small room off the hall, and a big kitchen, and another room where we have lots of storage.

Elsewhere in the building there are a few more big rooms too, and a loft room, and we can use any of that too (unless its been booked, but there's no regular bookings on our night!)

We pay no rent, but just make a donation. We can also use the venue for sleepovers, and again need only provide a donation!

Jaffa

Veteran (100+ posts)
We use a community building, that was a big old co-operative shop, victorian in period. Its £10 for the evening, but lovely and warm. We have a room, about the size of a badminton court, but can extend into the cafe area, use the ICT romo (with 20 pcs), nice little kitchen. Its always clean and we have a cartaker on site to help out if we need something. Not good for parking but in the middle of the village, so most girls walk.

bubblesaus

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ok... So I did a quick tally- its quite interesting

Most people mentioned who owned the meeting place, so I think the first half is pretty accurate, but not everyone mentioned about their storage, kitchens, outdoor access etc.

I hope the tables works on here... (no, no they don't- excuse the dots then)

meeting place/ Unit............Rainbow......Brownie.......Guide....Senior Section.....Unknown....All up
Schools................................7..............15....................5............1...................3................31
Guide/scout halls..................7...............7 ..................7............3.....................2.................26
Church properties..................7...............6..................6............3.....................4...............26
Community hall/other............1............... 2..................3............3.....................2.................11

All up ...................................22............30................21...........10...................11..............94

I need sleep, so I'll format and put the other half up tomorrow... :sleeping:

Last edited:

Porth

Veteran (100+ posts)
I should add that we've got use of tables and chairs in our meeting place (we call it hut, but it's actually a 'hall' and used to be the old library for the community). The tables/chairs have to be set up for every meeting (which I don't mind), but getting the parents to realise that I just don't walk in and everything's set up. Have had a few parents who thought that I just ran the session and needed no prep/setting up time at all!!

bubblesaus

Veteran (100+ posts)
ok, here is the other tally about facilities and storage...

facilities/ unit…………..Rainbow………..Brownie……..…Guide……..Senior Section……Unknown……..All up
Kitchens ……….........………15……....…………20………….......….18……….....………9………………….......9……………......71
Outdoor Area …......………11……....…………17…………..…......16………….....……4 ………………….......3……………......51
More then 1 room….....…11……....……….…14…………........….9…………......……4………………….......6……………......44

No Storage………........……4…………....………5………….......…….3……….....………3………………….......2……………......17
Some Storage …….......… 5……....……………7……….......……….8…….....…………3 ………………….......4……………......27
Plenty of Storage…...…...11………....………14……….......………10…….....……..…3 ………..………......3……………......41

Last edited: