1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Themes for Pack Holiday

Discussion in 'Residentials' started by SomerTimeGirl, Feb 9, 2014.

1. SomerTimeGirl

SomerTimeGirl Regular (50+ posts)

Hi All
    Am hopefully taking my Brownies away in October on Pack Holiday but am looking for some sort of theme for the weekend. Anyone got any good ideas that they've used? We will be staying in a scout hut with a reasonable sized outdoor area.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2. BexP

BexP Veteran (100+ posts)

Hi SomerTimeGirl!

Lots of Brownies have been enjoying our challenge "I'm A Survivor... GUIDE Me Out Of Here!" at Pack Holiday.

The challenge pack can be downloaded from http://glasgowsouthseniorsection.org.uk if you want to find out more.

Good luck with the Pack Holiday. I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what theme you choose!

3. JJJJ1980

JJJJ1980 Brownie Leader x 3

We often ask our girls for ideas and then look through the suggestions to see what we can fill a weekend with, in the past we have done various Disney films, wildlife, history, circus. Anything really that you can think of lots of activities to fit in with.

4. MummyOwl

MummyOwl Brownie Leader

I can only comment on the ones we've done recently with our Brownies...

Under the Sea was GREAT fun... loads of outdoor and indoor activities and games (easy to adapt to bad/good weather!)
    Our favourite Pack Holiday of recent years was The Olympics in 2012... but this is possibly not relevant in October 2014! (unless you adapt it to Winter Olympics (it might snow!?!) or the Commonwealth Games?)
    Last year we based our holiday on the 'Startastic' Challenge on here... some great ideas and a very very lovely badge!
    This year we're doing 'Monsters'...

5. Dolphin-Brownie

Dolphin-Brownie Veteran (100+ posts)

A year in a weekend was fab fun (starting with new year and working through til Christmas), Roald Dahl, Harry Potter, Winnie the Pooh, Wild West, Winter Wonderland, I'm a Brownie - get me out of here!, Peter Pan... Ask the girls to come up with some suggestions and I'm sure you'll be able to find activities to match

6. sandra 100

sandra 100 Veteran (100+ posts)

we have done Disney, independence day (American) Christmas and princesses
    ask your girls what they would like to do

7. SomerTimeGirl

SomerTimeGirl Regular (50+ posts)

I quite like the idea of a Harry Potter theme (can't deny that I absolutely love the books!)

8. FPG

FPG Veteran (100+ posts)

Our Harry Potter themed holiday is easily my favourite :) It was so much fun even doing the prep beforehand! There's so many different things you can tie into it that aren't necessarily exactly from the books. E.g for potion making class the girls made bubble bath (they loved getting to choose their own colour/fragrance combo and measuring out the fragrances with pipettes lol), but there are so many other things you could do... We had shedloads of ideas for activities that we couldn't fit in.

9. Dolphin-Brownie

Dolphin-Brownie Veteran (100+ posts)

And you can invite them with a letter from Hogwarts, and we had ours hop on the Hogwarts express when they first arrived and then sorted them into houses. We had owls in to visit, made potions (disgusting cups with all sorts of icky ingredients which they thought was fab lol), played quidditch, made wands... Can't remember everything as was several years ago, but it was so much fun

10. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

We've done nature, Harry Potter, Beach, TV shows relevant to the time etc...

Ask the girls, you'll love some suggestions they come up with!

11. FPG

FPG Veteran (100+ posts)

Oooh yes, we used rolls of painted display paper to 'brick' over the entrance to the holiday house and turn it into Platform 9 3/4. We did it so that all the surround to the door as well as the door itself was covered, but cut out the door once we stuck it up so that it opened without ripping the paper. So all the girls got to walk through the wall when they arrived...

(Door & frame was pvc, so I used folded loops of normal sellotape to attach our painted brick wall; stayed fast all weekend, but was also easy to remove and didn't leave a mark.)

And we sorted them into houses. I had a 'sorting hat' which I'd attached a dictophone to the inside of and I held the hat near the top so that I could just press down the play button enough each time I put it on a girl's head that it would play, and then partially released it to stop it (rather than trying to faff clicking pause etc - meant the girls couldn't hear me pressing the buttons).

I had a friend record the voice. We did it in alphabetical order (and I called the girls up from a printed list) and we tailored what the 'hat' said to each girl on top of just saying the house name. I then had house badges for them all ready (with a scroll underneath the house emblem with their name on) and they got their house badge once sorted. Rather than sixers/seconders we had prefects. I added a little 'P' badge to their name scrolls.

12. emmaluvseeyore

emmaluvseeyore Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant

We are doing Harry Potter for our district pack hol this year. The YLs/Brownie helpers are going to be Slytherin, the girls will be in 3 groups for their activities, so they will be the other houses. The leaders are going to be the teachers.

Really love people's ideas (particularly the sorting hat and the platform).

13. Oscar

Oscar Veteran (100+ posts)

Wow this sound fab what fantastic idea to make pretend door.

14. jlbarnfather

jlbarnfather Brownie Guider, Rainbow Guider-training

Here is a list of what we've done over the years, combination of leader ideas and girls ideas:
    Circus - made juggling balls, had a circus on last night with each group doing an act
    Teddies - famous teddies as groups eg. paddington bear
    Easter - over easter weekend!
    Beatrix Potter
    Celebrations - our brownies 40th birthday
    Wild West
    Beach
    Pop Stars
    tourists - each morning we had a passport check point to enter a differnet country
    Winnie the Pooh
    May Day
    Alice in Wonderland
    Chirstmas - in june! was great fun
    Native americans
    under the sea
    pirates
    countries - similar to toursits
    royal banquet (royal wedding weekend!)
    Wildlife explorers
    golden jubilee
    olympics
    charlie and chocolate factory

15. LizzieWizzie

LizzieWizzie Veteran (100+ posts)

We normally use on the of Challenge Badges from on this site as a theme. I select three or four that I think are workable and then the girls select which one. The last one we did was Roald Dahl and that went went down very well indeed.

16. Zosie

Zosie Regular (50+ posts)

If my memory serves me correctly, we used to get all the Brownies write down an idea and hand it in. We'd then go through them all in a planning meeting to see what was the most popular and practical.

Just a few I can remember:
    - Books - each day had a different theme, including Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter etc.
    - Under the Sea - including a pirate themed day when we went to the beach
    - Safari
    - Around the World - every Brownie was given a passport that was stamped each day

I love the idea of using one of the Challenge Badges from on here as a theme! When I was a Brownie we'd be given the option to do interest badge activities with the Guiders help during our free time. Badges are always a nice bonus!

17. falkland1

falkland1 NellieB GuiderPlus

Thought these might help..had them for a whiley but still useful for camp or PH

Attached Files:

18. ScreechOwl

ScreechOwl Beginner (10+ posts)

My assessment was Christmas (in July). Since then I've done:

Pirates, Under the Sea, Cowgirls and Indians, Teddy Bears, Upside Down and Back to Front, Mary Poppins.

I've also been on: Winnie the Pooh, Toy Story, Herbs, Animals of Farthing Wood, Jungle Book, Around the World in 80 hours, London

Recently I've used the challenge badges on this site and picked one as our theme so in addition to the Brownie Holiday badge, the girls also earn one with the theme for their camp blanket.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

19. Brownie16

Brownie16 (Newbie)

Hi. Try Halloween. Loads to do. Mix with guyfawks too.
    Firework cookies, have a fancy dress disco on sat night, crafts. Play beetle drive but drawing a witch.

20. Batty Owl

Batty Owl Veteran (100+ posts)

I personally would think very carefully about the temperament of the girls going on the holiday before choosing Halloween. I once took the brownies way actually over Halloween night and although our theme was nothing to do with the night, we had more than half the girls out of bed and worried that the ghoulies and ghosties were going to get into the house and 'get' them. It took a lot of reassurance to get them settled again.

kingfisherblue likes this.