1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Thinking Day at Alexandra Palace - Guiders G2G? (and/or Pax Lodge)?

Discussion in 'Guiders Get2Gether' started by Hilzo42, Jan 30, 2014.

?

Options for Saturday 22nd - definites only please for numbers! (tick all that apply)

Poll closed Feb 7, 2014.
  1. I'd like to go to the Alexandra Palace Thinking Day event

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. I'd like to visit Pax Lodge for their evening Thinking Day activities (after Ally Pally)

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. elenopa

elenopa Brownie Guider

I'm with this. Saves on travelling hassle and time.

2. Hilzo42

Hilzo42 Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod! Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

I was thinking the same that £7 for dinner in London is pretty good - and an extra experience at Pax Lodge - but thought it best to ask than presume! :) I'll book us in for both.

3. elenopa

elenopa Brownie Guider

I'm starting to think logistics (plus I had a very weird dream about this last night)

I presume Hilzo is dealing with all the tickets and bookings, so I just have to get myself to London?

Also, where shall we meet? I'm thinking of getting the train to Ally Pally from Kings Cross. Would this be a good place to meet? I don't know where everyone is coming from? Do we need a packed lunch?

4. Hilzo42

Good question about where to meet! Is the Alexandra Palace national rail station good for everyone? I can get there from my end of London easily enough (as well as Wood Green Underground). The event starts at 10.30am and they ask not to arrive before 10am, so I'd suggest meeting at 10am and then it's a 10/15min walk up there.

We're battling engineering works to get across from Ally Pally to Pax Lodge (helpfully Pax Lodge's closest stations are on the Northern line or London Overground and both are closed...) but I've figured out busses to get us there!

We'll need to be in Guiding wear and bring a packed lunch. Information is on the 'Celebrate' page of GG's website too :)
    https://www.girlguiding.org.uk/members_area__go/whats_happening/big_brownie_birthday/celebrate/celebrate_leader_information.aspx

5. BeccaSooty

BeccaSooty Brownie Guider GuiderPlus

Sounds good to me, think I'll be arriving at wood green underground station too! We definitely have tickets then?! Do you want any money beforehand or can we pay it all on the day? Well done for sorting it out!

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk

6. BeccaSooty

Wow, just had a look at how long it takes to get from Alexandra Palace to Pax Lodge, I didn't think they were that far apart, both being in North London! Obviously I was wrong as it takes over 1 hour to get between the 2! I guess that means we'll have to miss the very end of the Celebrate event if we want to get the meal at Pax Lodge by 5:30!

7. elenopa

elenopa Brownie Guider

At least we would get out before the rush!

Shame about the Northern line being closed. I was counting on that to get back to Euston. Will have to look at buses I suppose.

8. Hilzo42

Yup, I have tickets (thank you Heathera & Jennab!) - they're all leader ones, I've informed Celebrate (they still helpfully haven't replied to me at all, but it's simply a direct switch on their booking) so as far as I'm concerned we're good to go! :D We can sort out monies at the weekend.

It's such a pain with the engineering works - otherwise I'd have prob suggested taking the Piccadilly Line from Wood Green to Caledonian Road and picked up the Overground there to Hampstead. If we leave Celebrate on the dot of 4pm though we should be fine for getting to Pax Lodge without missing the end - sometimes bus times are overestimated, plus we need to head in the opposite direction to Muswell Hill rather than the rail/underground stations for the bus (TFL's journey planner includes walking time and I reckon we can be there by 5.20pm). I'll need the bus back from Pax Lodge too - Euston is also prob the best place for me to head for. :)

9. *gwen*

*gwen* GIC Guide/SS GuiderPlus

You will have to text me when you arrive so we can see if we can arrange a brief meet up. Gutted cant join you for dinner at Pax Lodge.

10. Loopy

Loopy Veteran (100+ posts)

Oh, I wish I'd seen this thread sooner, I'd have loved to have joined you! Wonder if I can still get hold of a ticket...?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

11. *gwen*

*gwen* GIC Guide/SS GuiderPlus

If you can get to Wokingham you can come with the district and my unit. I Think we might still have an adult ticket. :)

12. Hilzo42

Aww no Loopy! Always the way isn't it?

I got a confirmation email from Pax Lodge today too for our dinner and evening activities :D So looks like we're all set! They had a facebook post earlier this morning saying they still had spaces though Loopy... ;)

13. Loopy

Thanks Gwen but Loulou beat you to it and I think I'm sorted for a ticket.

Is it ok if I join the mini G2G everyone? If so I'll get in touch with Pax lodge :)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

14. Hilzo42

Of course Loopy! The more the merrier... :D

I'll pm you my mobile number so we can find each other on Saturday!

15. Loopy

Great, thanks very much!

16. ElfOwl

ElfOwl Veteran (100+ posts)

Wish I'd booked my guides for the afternoon Pax Lodge session now, then I could have done a quick hello/goodbye.

17. Loopy

Just a thought - is it possible/easy to walk to Pax Lodge from Finchley Road underground? I've never tried it (but then I haven't been to Pax for a very long time, so I can't really remember what routes we took!). It looks like it's less than a mile walk and the tubes seem to be running to there, but I don't know whether it would save us any journey time or whether the bus would be a better bet?

18. Hilzo42

Good thought - it is possible to walk from Finchley Road, I think I've done it once... *goes to look*
    Mm, we could go from Wood Green (either get the W3 bus as AP directions suggest or walk it), change at Kings Cross and take the Met line to Finchley Road. It's then about a 10/15 min walk to Pax Lodge. Either option could work, they look like they'll take about the same time in total.

We could decide tomorrow afternoon which to do as one option isn't significantly quicker than the other - if it looks like everyone is aiming for the bus to Wood Green station then perhaps we'll be better off heading the opposite way to Muswell Hill!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  19. BeccaSooty

I'm going to get to Wood Green station just before 10, how do I get to Alexandra Palace Station from there? I'm going to be going home from Finchley Road after the activities at Pax lodge!
    Can you just confirm how much money we need to pay? £15 for the Celebrate Tickets, £7 for dinner at Pax Lodge, and £5 for the evening activities?!? I just want to make sure I have enough!!

20. elenopa

elenopa Brownie Guider

I can do either Wood Green or Alexandra Palace stations. It just depends if I do underground or overground (Wombling free...).