• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Too old for DofE, too young for discovery?

I'm 27, I achieved my DofE gold when I was 19 and helped at a guide unit for 4 years on a "when needed" basis. The unit closed and I had a few years out of guiding before joining the trefoil guild 5 weeks ago.

I'm the youngest in my guild by over 20 years then there's an average 15 years difference between the 50 year old and the rest of the guild but I do enjoy our meetings.

My friend who just turned 50 is embarking on discovery with lots of encouragement from the guild, all of whom did discovery at some point and say they gained loads from it.

I would like to do some sort of challenge but there doesn't seem to be anything for me. I dont feel I could join a brownie/guide/ss pack and train as a leader because I lost my vision a few years ago and don't have the confidence to be in a position where I'm responsible for other peoples children.

Does anyone have any ideas on self development programmes I could follow?

Thank you, Jenny

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
There is something called the Dark Horse award, and the Discovery award.
I don't know anything about them but they are Trefoil challenges

Both of those awards specify that you have to be 50 to start working on them, I think I'm going to end up doing discovery but not getting awarded for it. No doubt when I'm 50 I'll have some new life challenges that I can use for my real discovery award.

emmaluvseeyore

Brownie Leader and Ranger Assistant
There are many roles throughout Guiding that you could do if you don't want to be responsible for children. Maybe speak to someone at county level to see if they can find something for you.

How about doing some challenges on here that are open to adults? Many of the challenge badges are cross-sectional these days, so you could do them alone/with your trefoil guild/both. Surrey West currently have a 70th Birthday challenge for all sections which was designed by the trefoil guild (it is to celebrate the 70th birthday of TG). If it isn't on here/you can't find it online, then do let me know as I should be able to get hold of it.

ChrisA

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
There is a new challenge about to be announced that has been trialled in Anglia Region that will probably be what you are looking for . I think it is for all adults or maybe all TG. I should find out more on Saturday

chopperchick

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
It's very easy for me to say I know, but are you sure being a leader isn't an option?
Joining the right unit, with the right mix of existing leadership team might be an option; where you get the opportunity to do your LQ within a unit environment and develop that confidence but you've got others to share the "responsibility" load with.

If not, and if you're open to the idea of the doing Discovery programme but just not being awarded for it, then could you use the same logic and embark on some of the unofficial challenges on here or the regional publications (even if it's just to focus you on learning a new skill etc) or follow the syllabus of Queens Guide award.

Or, a challenge that isn't a syllabus / formal programme would be to find a role within your District / Div / County etc which allows you to make a huge contribution to guiding that isn't front-line leadership. That could be an official Advisor or Trainer role - or a behind-the-scenes support role in some of the administrative functions, that could include marketing or recruitment etc. I've taken a break from unit leadership for a couple of years, so my personal challenge is to master GO and Join Us ..... which some would probably argue is greater than any DofE hike :D

qwerky

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
there might also be other "child-facing" roles with reduced responsibility for girls (if that's what you want) that you could look at

Some of the unit helper/occasional helper roles, depending on the unit and the current leadership teams may suit you.

With your previous experience, you could be very helpfull supporting local units.

Maybe you would consider Senior Section, as sometimes these girls really need some moral support and an ear to bend from time to time.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I think there are walks/expeditions in places like Iceland run by guiding to raise money for the centenary fund. Would something like that be of any interest to you? :)

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
In terms of Leadership, you wouldn't need to be a GiC in a unit if you didn't want to - you could be an assistant Leader, or a Unit Helper - with Unit Helper especially, the level of commitment and the roles undertaken are entirely flexible, so you could agree with the Leadership team what you wanted to take on, and what you'd rather not.

In many areas there are vacancies for Commissioners, for Advisers, and for Trainers. Could any of these roles fit the bill for you? Within these jobs there is scope for all sorts of roles - some of them are more admin-based, some are more active, some mean working with the girls, others mainly with adults or in an admin role.

There are qualifications Leaders can take on - most are outdoors based, but there are more online modules coming through.

Task and Finish groups regularly seek volunteers to work on projects and develop resources - there are real opportunities to influence what happens.

There will be events being organised in your are for the BBB next year - could you get involved with some of the planning and organising work - there will be plenty of roles, both 'front of house' and 'backroom' in order to make events happen.

I think working with the girls is beyond me right now, maybe in a few years time when I've had time to settle into life without vision (my loss was very sudden and unexpected). Maybe senior section or guides will be something I could handle in a few years time.

I do quite fancy walks, would need to get my long cane skills up to scratch but that would be fun, other half might not be too chuffed with me travelling all over the place when we are supposed to be saving for a deposit but he can just keep quiet lol.

Our TG chair mentioned voyager award at our last meeting but she said it's very similar to discovery, hopefully it will be something i can participate in.

IvyN

Veteran (100+ posts)
What about some of the Best Of Guiding UK badges? You have to be over 26 for those. http://guidinguk.freeservers.com/Boguk-badges_index.html

There's the Big Brownie Birthday Challenge for next year too, for TG members. There's also always challenges popping up on here, and those are often "change to suit your skills", so make harder for something you're already familiar with (so if it's to learn to knit, challenge yourself to have a go at that difficult dress/scarf/cushion cover pattern you've been eyeing up but haven't been brave enough to try yet).

You could always still do Look Wider, and Commonwealth and Queens guides syllabuses, even if you're too old to do it as part of TSS and to get the badge, just for the challenge.

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I wonder if a TSS unit but with a particular focus on over-18s would be suitable for you? Something like TSS on a campus, or for working adults? Then it does not involve responsibility for children.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Could you even create your own challenge for under 50 YO TGs? I'm sure that there are others similar to yourself who would like a challenge outside of a conventional leadership role but are between QG and Discovety ages :)

I know nothing about the Dark Horse award but I am currently working on the Bronze level of the Discovery Award. I disagree very strongly its a Trefoil Challenge however - unless you are suggesting that people that work on them are possibly in the Trefoil Guild? One has to be 50 or more before they can start the Discovery Award. Not all counties actually support the Discovery Award and most importantly, the Award is available to other people outside Girlguiding.

I am working on my own on the Discovery Award although I am attached to a county where I pay my fees to but I am not in that county. Girlguiding Manchester just happens to have a really good co-ordinator for the Discovery Award.

Regards

ChrisA

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I know nothing about the Dark Horse award but I am currently working on the Bronze level of the Discovery Award. I disagree very strongly its a Trefoil Challenge however - unless you are suggesting that people that work on them are possibly in the Trefoil Guild? One has to be 50 or more before they can start the Discovery Award. Not all counties actually support the Discovery Award and most importantly, the Award is available to other people outside Girlguiding.

I am working on my own on the Discovery Award although I am attached to a county where I pay my fees to but I am not in that county. Girlguiding Manchester just happens to have a really good co-ordinator for the Discovery Award.

Regards
It isn't just for people involved in guiding however the group I was with when I did mine were all members of guiding. We heard about it through guiding and formed our own group.

Trefoil Guild's Voyager Award Application

I wouldn't know where to start but it is something I could look into, I'll wait until I know more about Voyager before I start working on making a challenge though.

I just happen to have information regarding the Voyager Award fall into my lap so to speak literally.
The Voyager Award is similar to the Discovery Award except the Voyager is administered by the Trefoil Guild and on their application form they ask for your age group and give examples. You can start this from age 18 years.

Click on this link and it will take you to their download files, scroll down and you will find the application form for the Voyager Award.

http://trefoilguild.co.uk/resources/forms.aspx

Good Luck!

Last edited: