• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Too old for DofE, too young for discovery?

Ok I've done it, sent my form off with my cheque for £6 and a note explaining I'm VI and asking for materials to be larger print.

I'd love to know more about what I've signed up for but I can't find any information on the challenge - just the application form.

Charnwood Fan

Veteran (100+ posts)
This page does suggest they are: http://jst.org.uk/about-jubilee-sailing-trust/what-we-do/

Lord Nelson and Tenacious are the only two tall ships in the world that have been purpose built to enable people of all physical and sensory abilities to take an active role in sailing. The features on board include:

•Signs in Braille
•Braille book
•Guidance track on deck to help blind and visually impaired crew to navigate their way around
•Speaking compass to enable blind or visually impaired voyage crew to steer the ship

May be worth asking on this fb page? https://www.facebook.com/JubileeSailingTrust?fref=ts

In what way sensory impaired? (Don't want to know all the details, I'm just not sure I fully understand the term sensory impaired)
Sensory impaired is deaf, blind, visually impaired, and I suppose problems with taste, smell or touch but I've never seen adaptions for the last 3.

I've got very little central vision and blotchy peripheral vision so I'm registered as partially sighted though I'm not far off the blind criteria now.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Sensory impaired is deaf, blind, visually impaired, and I suppose problems with taste, smell or touch but I've never seen adaptions for the last 3.

I've got very little central vision and blotchy peripheral vision so I'm registered as partially sighted though I'm not far off the blind criteria now.
I feel embarrassed for not understanding it as a term, ill do some digging at work about jst but I'm pretty sure they're well adapted, and you get assigned a 'buddy' when on board too :)

qwerky

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I've not sailed with JST but have sailed on two other tall ships, we raced against Lord Nelson in the Tall Ships races.

When we did ship visits in port, I rememeber her having braile signs, and a speaking compass (among other things) for the visually impared, and vibratory pillows as an example of additional support for those with reduced hearing.

I'm sure that you can find more information on their website.

THey are lovely vessels.

I received my booklet on Saturday morning and I'm trying to work out what I can do for each section, it does say I need to clear everything with my regional programme and development advisor, does anyone know who does this in Glasgow and how I could contact her?