• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Two years ago!

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
This has just come up on my FB, where it tells you your status on that day from previous years:

"Happy Birthday, Girlguiding UK"! 100 years ago today, a group of girls gatecrashed Robert Baden Powell's Scout Rally at Crystal Palace to demand "something for the girls". From this, the Guiding movement was created, and 100 years later is going from strength to strength. This is the start of out centenary year. Let's get the party started!!
That means it's two years ago since we were all heading off to the Centenary launch parties!

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I saw that, I also saw Ker-steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee posted something similar, and I did too! Can't believe that it was 2 years ago!

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
We had good weather for ours.... and it's been really warm and sunny here today too!

Ours was a late afternoon outdoor concert, and it did get cold towards teh end - I remember getting in the car and putting the heating on full

Snowy Pink Owl

The Doctor (5000+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Ours was cold and windy, today has been cold and windy with a touch of rain. We were outdoors at a fun day next to the seaside which didn't help with the warmth :)

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
We had good weather for ours.... and it's been really warm and sunny here today too!

Ours was a late afternoon outdoor concert, and it did get cold towards teh end - I remember getting in the car and putting the heating on full
Yeah, it looked like it might rain, but never did...although we never understood the point of setting off those fireworks in daylight!

My status was a mix of looking forward to the centenary and moaning about being forced to wear that p**k t-shirt to the centenary party!!

newbe

Veteran (100+ posts)
gosh our weather was ok we had a small shower just as we were getting off our bus then weather fine all day. we are now looking forward to our grand day out in Blackpool next month! hope the weather is good to us then too

megs

Veteran (100+ posts)
Wow
2 years ago I was just a little guide in a big room of seniors

I'd turned 14 over the summer so my leader took the older ones to the launch party and sleepover, and the rest came during the day. It felt so special, being a senior section member and getting to hang out with the "grown ups". I put it in inverted commas because they were having snail races in the next room while we were ment to be asleep!

GuidingKB

Brownie Guider
I suprised my parents last wek...they said that they were taking the caravan to Shugburgh Hall - that may be spelt wrong!
I then asked if they always went this weekend every year. They said they did and asked how I knew that - the reason being that 2 years ago they'd seen the big screens and all the bunny ears for the Centenary Launch. (They go there for dog shows...)
I can't believe it was two years ago!

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I went to the launch at Shugborough! It was the Staffordshire launch. I got there in good time, as I think I went in the wrong entrance by mistake - everyone else got really stuck in a long queue coming in. I was stood in the carpark for a good 40 mins waiting for the rest of my unit, but had fun watching Shugborough's staff getting really stressed with the carparking situation!

snowy91

Fully warranted Brownie Guider
wow it's gone really quickly!
i went to surrey wests which was a huge county fun day on the sunday and we had stunning weather :D
was really sunny allmost all day but not too hot - jeans and t-shirt weather i think it was :) i do remember plastering on suncream at one point so must have been fairly warm :)

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I suprised my parents last wek...they said that they were taking the caravan to Shugburgh Hall - that may be spelt wrong!
I then asked if they always went this weekend every year. They said they did and asked how I knew that - the reason being that 2 years ago they'd seen the big screens and all the bunny ears for the Centenary Launch. (They go there for dog shows...)
I can't believe it was two years ago!
I went to the launch at Shugborough! It was the Staffordshire launch. I got there in good time, as I think I went in the wrong entrance by mistake - everyone else got really stuck in a long queue coming in. I was stood in the carpark for a good 40 mins waiting for the rest of my unit, but had fun watching Shugborough's staff getting really stressed with the carparking situation!
I was there too- and our coach dropped us off someplace and we had to walk for about 10-15mins to get there, but we arrived about 1 1/2 hours before it even began because we'd been told to get there early to get a good spot by our ex-divC who was one of the organisers :) On reflection, it's amazing how much has happened in 2 small years really!

sliceofrice

Veteran (100+ posts)
Wow
2 years ago I was just a little guide in a big room of seniors

I'd turned 14 over the summer so my leader took the older ones to the launch party and sleepover, and the rest came during the day. It felt so special, being a senior section member and getting to hang out with the "grown ups". I put it in inverted commas because they were having snail races in the next room while we were ment to be asleep!
You're a Chester/Runcorn girl aren't you? So were you at the Guildhall? :)

*gwen*

GIC Guide/SS
GuiderPlus
omg how does time fly. We had 4 girls from the unit go to the launch party in our district, and all 4 are still involved. These are the dedicated one. Makes you wonder how many are not involved after the centenary

jennthedeadfunkyranger

Guide Guider
GuiderPlus
I was there too- and our coach dropped us off someplace and we had to walk for about 10-15mins to get there, but we arrived about 1 1/2 hours before it even began because we'd been told to get there early to get a good spot by our ex-divC who was one of the organisers :) On reflection, it's amazing how much has happened in 2 small years really!
We missed the very beginning... it was the bit with the dancing to HSM stuff. Not too much of a sacrifice, except one of my Guides at the time was one of the dancers

princessabz

Rainbow Assistant Guider
Really can't believe it was two years ago! Ours was at Chepstow Racecourse and was a brilliant day.

That two years has flown by, it doesn't seem like that ago but at the same time it also feels as though so much has happened and so many changes since :)

And Beth, sadly, i didn't have a centenary RASBERRY :p top at the time :(

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
We missed the very beginning... it was the bit with the dancing to HSM stuff. Not too much of a sacrifice, except one of my Guides at the time was one of the dancers
It don't remember it being particularly amazing, we were more focused on trying to find one of our brownies who was in it than what they were doing!
And Beth, sadly, i didn't have a centenary RASBERRY :p top at the time :(
Abz, it's rude to swear at others :p

My status for today in 2009 was:
Crystal Palace Launch Party is over (barring a few marquees still to come down). Totally knackered, but what an amazing couple of days
Its funny to think back on that, I really cant believe its 2 years since. What an awesome experience that was.
Whats even funnier is that I'm actually working an event at Crystal Palace this weekend - its almost come back round full circle, give or take a few days!