• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Two years ago!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
I wasn't involved in the Launch as I got back from being out of the country to find that my previous Rainbows had basically not been told enough about the launch, and there were no leaders available to take them, and I had already booked up the Launch weekend by the time I heard about it.

Our new unit started running on the 12th September 2009 as one of the girls reminded me on Sunday! Much better memories than me, those Brownies.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I can remember being very jealous of all your launch party tales as Nottinghamshire's was 2 weeks later than everyone elses! In fact, our Vision event should have been at the beginning of November as our Centenary "year" was 2 weeks shorter than the rest of GGUK! ;)

I can't believe it's been 2 years!

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
I never bothered with my FB status at the time (don't much now TBH as most of you will probably have noticed!)

But our launch was at Waddow and was an astoundingly fantastic day despite being a tad inclement during the morning and into the afternoon.

Thank heavens for quick dry trousers!

Orly

Veteran (100+ posts)
I had two launch parties. The first one was the first weekend in September in London. (We spent the day on Parliament Hill athletics track, playing the Decades game and eating cake). The second was at the end of September, when the district went away overnight.

Snowy Pink Owl

The Doctor (5000+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I can remember being very jealous of all your launch party tales as Nottinghamshire's was 2 weeks later than everyone elses! In fact, our Vision event should have been at the beginning of November as our Centenary "year" was 2 weeks shorter than the rest of GGUK! ;)

I can't believe it's been 2 years!
Why was yours two weeks later? Just being nosy :)

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I was on Brownsea Island with a bunch of fellow mad Guiders! Still seems strange that they chose such a random date to launch, though!

I'm in Nottinghamshire too and to be honest I can't remember why ours was two weeks later. If anyone else can remember, put it on here.

It did feel a bit weird having it after everyone else, like we weren't quite part of everyone else's excitement.

Cazbly

I was on Brownsea Island with a bunch of fellow mad Guiders! Still seems strange that they chose such a random date to launch, though!
Not such a random date - nearest Saturday to the date of the 1909 Crystal Palace Rally.

I know girls were already scouting (or guiding) etc and all that debate.

But the Rally was a key milestone in the journey to the creation of Girl Guiding as an entity in it's own right and worth some recognition.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Not such a random date - nearest Saturday to the date of the 1909 Crystal Palace Rally.

I know girls were already scouting (or guiding) etc and all that debate.

But the Rally was a key milestone in the journey to the creation of Girl Guiding as an entity in it's own right and worth some recognition.
Yes, it was one of the larger of the several Scout rallies held that year, and it was the one that Baden-Powell organised/attended, but it's debatable whether it was more than one of several factors which persuaded him that the existing position of girls in Scouting couldn't be maintained, as he had hoped - and by that time he had already started making tentative (albeit eventually fruitless) enquiries with first aid organisations about whether they would be willing to take on the Girl Scouts as nursing recruits.

Cazbly

Yes, it was one of the larger of the several Scout rallies held that year, and it was the one that Baden-Powell organised/attended, but it's debatable whether it was more than one of several factors which persuaded him that the existing position of girls in Scouting couldn't be maintained, as he had hoped - and by that time he had already started making tentative (albeit eventually fruitless) enquiries with first aid organisations about whether they would be willing to take on the Girl Scouts as nursing recruits.
I know all of that, but like or not, the Crystal Palace Rally is the one that is known and as such does serve as an acceptable milestone. Better to have something to point at than nothing at all.

At the end of the day, B-P is not here to ask and whilst it is good to research and have a thorough understanding of the organisation's history, many of our members are not worried about that depth of history and the Crystal Palace Rally is the one they know.

You can take the same debate and apply it to the beginnings of a great many organisations and movements and unless you can pinpoint another rally of that period and categorically demonstrate that that "is the one", then I think it acceptable to use this as milestone date.

And by defining it as a milestone, I have used terminology that would suggests that there were many more along the journey from the Scouting experiment at Brownsea to the birth of the Girl Guide Association as an entity.