• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

UK Guiding events outwith England

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
I'm trying to trace when the last UK-wide Guiding event was held in one of the other three countries - Wales, Northern Ireland or Scotland - rather than England. Anyone have any info?

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
What sort of things are you thinking ? Camps, Big Gig sort of things?
I honestly can't think of any in my memory.. to be fair the only things north of Watford have been a couple of Big Gigs and the Centenary Camp which used Harewood partly because of the link with the Princess Royal.

To get anything out of the south now would take a very strong willed lead volunteer (as with Harewood) or massive business case that it would be supported and self funding..

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
The last national event I personally remember/ attended in Scotland was Innovate in 2008. Presumably there were things like One World One Beat during the centenary year?

Although now you mention it, I can't think of many big national events like Big Gig etc making it to north west England in the last decade either! One in Liverpool three or four years ago, and that's about it.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
Have you asked GG? There must have been something about the Commonwealth Games in 2014 in Scotland, but I'm sure you would have heard about it. I was looking in the Adventure Made Easy booklet and it's a shame that all the TACs are in England, and Broneirion doesn't do the big activities in the same way (for example, it doesn't do Magic and Mayhem or Wellies and Wristbands).

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Have you asked GG? There must have been something about the Commonwealth Games in 2014 in Scotland, but I'm sure you would have heard about it. I was looking in the Adventure Made Easy booklet and it's a shame that all the TACs are in England, and Broneirion doesn't do the big activities in the same way (for example, it doesn't do Magic and Mayhem or Wellies and Wristbands).
Commonwealth Games just had a joint challenge badge from the 4 youth organisations. Unfortunately the Adventure Made Easy booklet won't list events at Broneirion or Netherurd or the other regional training centres.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I guess that it all comes down to money. Foxlease, Blackland Farm and Waddow are owned by the national association... I'm not sure about Broneirion - that may be owned by GG Cymru and Netherurd by GG Scotland and Lorne GG Ulster, likewise Hautbois is GG Anglia. So they will push the nationally owned properties first, just as Scotland and Wales will promote their own properties...