• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Voyage Award - How are you doing?

Dionysia

Veteran (100+ posts)
Just getting started/planning on the Myself & Skills sections.

Going to get fitter, by improving my running and doing a half marathon, improve on my swim crawl & loose weight.

Crochet for skills as this is something new to me, so lots to learn.

And that is as far as I have gotten!

How is everyone else getting on - also what are you doing for the service? Already am a AL so does that count as doing it already?

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I started on my Bronze level at the beginning of March!

I'm using my usual Guiding meetings for my service - that is part and parcel of being part of TG, I'm covering it by being a Guide leader. :)

For the 'Myself' section I've taken up adult ballet to get a bit fitter and build up some core strength and better balance again (oh I'm so rusty after 20yrs of not doing it!). This is the section I know is going to take me longest to complete as I can't go every week, just when my work shifts allow, so 40hrs will take a while!

I'm working on my overnight licence, so that'll be my 'Skills' (gaining a GG qualification).

For 'Explore my World' I'm going to go to Canada for the first time in the autumn :D (hoping I might be able to visit Guides Canada's HQ while I'm in Toronto too!)

The only part I'm stuck on is 'Teamwork' - I do have some things that could count coming up, but I feel I should do something different to something I've done before. But not sure what yet.

Dionysia

Veteran (100+ posts)
I know what you mean you feel that you need to do something that stretches you!

Wow Canada :) haven't got to thinking about that section yet! Ballet is good, is your teacher your mentor?

I'm glad that includes the meetings, as couldn't take on any more.

Do you find that the book isnt big enough to log everything?

Crochet will be hard to log hours, as is sometimes its just a quick few rows, rather than sitting for an hr.

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm deeply impressed you're aiming for a half marathon! How have you been finding getting mentors?

I must confess, I haven't asked the teacher yet - I kind of feel a bit silly doing so (I've always been rubbish asking those sorts of things). I'd been contemplating taking it up anyway, but I don't want it to seem like I'm only doing it for the award! I'm also not entirely sure how she can 'mentor', it seems a bit of an odd term sometimes - my goal will be achieved simply by doing it more often really, though she can certainly sign to confirm I've attended the classes.

In part, I looked through the award and thought "oh well I'm planning to do that, and that, and that this year already so I mays well start on the award now and count them." I had already been hoping to go to Canada (my best friend emigrated out there two years ago) so that's why I'm ahead on that section! XD

Yes, me too! I'm already doubling using lines for recording hours - the ballet classes are only 1hr, so that's 40 lines I need to record all the dates, and there aren't enough. I keep looking for a seperate syllabus, but I know it's all just in the book too.
Hmm, yeah I see the difficulty. Maybe it would be easier to make a note of the 5/10 mins you do, but log in the book a cumlulative total for the week that you've done crochet for? Then you're not just writing 5 mins here, an hour there and so on.

I've also bought a folder to start putting 'evidence' in, it's shiny and red, lol!

Last edited:

Dionysia

Veteran (100+ posts)
Mentor - I think its more of a verifier. Have only asked the friend that has taught me to crochet so far. I have another friend that would do the running (may regret the half as only done 6miles before).
I would like to ask my BO for the service, but haven't admitted to joining TG yet, as she says shes not grey enought yet (shes 58).

I have started a folder (yellow may need to change to red!) and excel sheets that lists all my times, and will figure the book out later.

I think its a better reason for the ballet - its something that you have wanted to do for a while, but doing the Award has given you the confidence/courage to go for it.

Dionysia

Veteran (100+ posts)
I am 24 and a member of TG! .... Maybe that is why I have so many grey hairs already :(
At 39 I too prob have more than her!

I can see why many join at an older age, as with my BO she works full time as a teacher, runs 2 units and has a family. So would only have time for TG once she has retired.

Hilzo42

Staff member
GuiderPlus
I think I'm going to be changing my skills, mostly as I had to cancel my Guides sleepover (for my residential licence) due to not enough interest - hard with a small unit where you do need practically all of them to come. Like you though I haven't decided on a teamwork clause yet!

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I've only just received my book, but I'm busy making plans already. I like planning. I totally agree that there's not enough space to log hours, by the way. It's bad enough at Bronze, but when you get up to Gold you have to log 80 hours' service in 12 lines. Who does their service in 6.5 hour stints? I'm going to acquire a scrap book, and use that to log my hours as well as my evidence. If I have a big chart in there I can then transfer it over to the record book in bursts, probably putting each month's total on one line in the book.

I'm counting my regular Brownie meetings towards Service.

I'd already decided that I wanted to do an Art GCSE at the local adult ed centre this year anyway, so I'm counting that for Myself.

We're doing a Brownie sleepover in May with a unit who haven't done an overnight for years so they'll all be first-timers. I'm going to count that for my Teamwork. I can't decide whether it's the event that has to be ten hours or the event and preparation that has to be ten hours though. Surely there aren't that many events that last ten hours in and of themselves? But then if you compare it to our village fete, which is 4 hours on Saturday afternoon, I've been to two council planning meetings at an hour each, shopped for the supplies, relayed information back to my team, written risk assessments, prepared items and so on. The event is only 4 hours, but I'll be well over the allotted 10 hours if you include planning and it's definitely been an exercise in teamwork!

For my Skill I'm going to make amigurumi for charity. I went on a crochet course with the WI not long ago, and I got to grips with afghans but anything more skilled baffled me. Under the tutelage of one of the other ladies, I've now picked up some new tricks. I'd like to give something back by using my new skill to make little crocheted animals either to sell to raise money for charity or to donate to someone like the London City Mission who deliver toys to children who wouldn't otherwise get a present at Christmas.

For Explore My World I'm going to walk the local footpaths. I moved into the area only last year, and I feel like I should be exploring more! I have fibromyalgia, and walking regularly is good for me but very painful and quite hard work. I figured that I could try a new route every time I go for a walk, even just half an hour, and I'll start to find out all kinds of things about my new home. Not sure who I can ask to mentor this though. Any ideas?

Hilzo - I know what you mean about feeling daft asking. I feel exactly the same. Let me know how it goes?

And with having to cancel your residential through lack of interest, is there any way you could join up with another unit? My Guide unit (back when I was a Guide) was really small, so we befriended a couple of nearby units and tagged along with them for camps.

Dionysia - What other things do you do? Are you involved with any other organisations? Are you going on holiday anywhere exciting?

We're all reasonably close together, geographically. If there's a real problem with the teamwork clause, maybe there is something we could get together to do as a team?

Last edited:

Dionysia

Veteran (100+ posts)
I have my Explore :) : walk up snowdon - never been to a mountaing before.

I did ring HQ with the 10 hr event, and it is 10 hours of planning and include the event - lots of people have queried this!

Teamwork not got there yet, I had just stood down from my sons football.

Orly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Contacted the TG office about joining my local TG and I never got a reply. Chased it up and still not got a reply. Seems I'll have to read your updates for a little longer before being able to join in.

Dionysia

Veteran (100+ posts)
Contacted the TG office about joining my local TG and I never got a reply. Chased it up and still not got a reply. Seems I'll have to read your updates for a little longer before being able to join in.
Come & join the intranet guild on facebook and then theres a separate group for those working on discovery & vovage.

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Nope, no messages since May 2013. I tried cancelling my pending request and requesting again but still nothing. I'll try sending her a PM in case I've fallen through the cracks somehow.

floss

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I got my book and joined the Scottish Lones :)
So I have a trip to York with 6 Guides this weekend (that's the planning with other people bit) and Guides and church will easily cover the volunteering.
Need to think about the rest a bit

Orly

Veteran (100+ posts)
Well, I contacted the TG office at the beginning of last month, forwarded on 2nd September and chased once - still nothing. Have sent a request to the FB group. TBH, even if the local membership secretary did get in contact with me, they've not shown the greatest communication - where's the guarantee it'd be better once I joined? So sad they've not got in contact, but hopeful that the internet Guild will be the solution.

Dionysia

Veteran (100+ posts)
I rang HQ and they were really helpful in telling me all the units available to me - none are at the right time though!

If you pm your names and emails, I'll contact the lady on the facebook to see what is going on.