• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Voyage Award - How are you doing?

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
I wouldn't get your hopes up Orly, I've still not heard anything from them.
It does seem rather unfortunate with all the effort going into selling TG and trying to attract more/younger members that actually joining is so difficult... I went on the website myself to have a quick look to see how you find out and it just tells you a list of areas with no contact details. What are you supposed to do with that? I'm not psychic.

floss

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
I take it you're all in England? I have the contact for Scottish Lones if any of you are in Scotland, they were prompt and very helpful.

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Exciting news! I was accidentally added to the Internet Guild, so now have access to the form. As long as I fill it in and send it off I can stay. It feels like such a cop out somehow after I've been waiting months for some kind of contact to be told that I shouldn't have been added at all.

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Oh, and I agree with FPG. It is such a shame that joining is so difficult. Has anyone let TGHQ know that they're having so much trouble? The more people complain the more likely it is that something will get done.

ChrisA

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
For anyone who wants to join the Internet Trefoil Guild you need to go to the TG website and download the form and send back to the office. It is not possible, at least for now, to join the facebook group of the Internet Guild before you fill in the forms.

The forms are on the Recourses page of the website.

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
For anyone who wants to join the Internet Trefoil Guild you need to go to the TG website and download the form and send back to the office. It is not possible, at least for now, to join the facebook group of the Internet Guild before you fill in the forms.

The forms are on the Recourses page of the website.
A quick message from the group admin explaining that if you request to be added to the group would be a huge help.

To take the thread back to its original purpose, I've got to rethink my Explore Your World. Turns out the pain in my hip is actually doing massive damage so I need to keep off it, which means walking is out :( I love canal boating though, and we're hoping to go again soon, so that would probably do quite nicely.

orchid

Brownie/Guide/Senior Section Guider
GuiderPlus
Got the Internet trefoils guild form but it mentions sending off the census fee...I'm assuming existing guiders don't need to pay this as we've already paid census via our existing roles/units? Can't see anything that confirms this one way or the other though. I've emailed and tweeted them but not had a reply...did any of you pay again? (Sorry for diverting the thread again..)

Bramble

Veteran (100+ posts)
Trefoil Guild has a separate membership from Girlguiding so, as far as |I know you will have to pay a separate census.
Try ringing the TG office if e-mails aren`t working.

ChrisA

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Yes you do but probably only the national rate as it is a national guild without (I assume) other expenses to pay. Last year the national TG census rate was the same as the Guiding national rate

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
My local TG looked into this and decided I had to pay both. They were quite miffed, given how much I do as an active volunteer.

orchid

GuiderPlus
Thanks for your replies. I'll send the census then. (Bramble, I'm not able to phone during the day which is why I could only email/tweet)

FPG

Veteran (100+ posts)
TG is a separate organisation, so gets nothing from your Girlguiding subscription, hence the requirement to pay both if you want to be a member of both.

orchid

GuiderPlus
I got this reply from them "Trefoil Guild is a separate organisation to Girlguiding so we have a separate census fee. The fee is £10.60, but you do not need to send this until February at census time - apologies if it says otherwise on the form, I need to check this and update it."

AJW191

Beginner (10+ posts)
GuiderPlus
A quick message from the group admin explaining that if you request to be added to the group would be a huge help.

To take the thread back to its original purpose, I've got to rethink my Explore Your World. Turns out the pain in my hip is actually doing massive damage so I need to keep off it, which means walking is out :( I love canal boating though, and we're hoping to go again soon, so that would probably do quite nicely.

I'm a narrow boater fan too. Do you have your own boat or do you hire? I belong to Bridgewater Boaters Trefoil Guild who are a special interest TG ie narrow boating!

AJW191

Beginner (10+ posts)
GuiderPlus

I'm a narrow boater fan too. Do you have your own boat or do you hire? I belong to Bridgewater Boaters Trefoil Guild who are a special interest TG ie narrow boating!

I did my service in the community for my Discovery Award working at the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port from January to July and recently I undertook the Certificate of Community Boat Management and passed. I gained an appreciation of the old wooden working historical boats and learnt how to blacken the oven and polish the brass as well as pump out the leaks from the boats and only when cleaning are we allowed to stand on the boat roofs!! LOL

All good fun but eventually the distance there and back just got too much for me. I also have hipand lower back pain ... bursa and the sheath of nerves that sits on top freezes if I sit for too long ie driving the car and its my clutch foot that has the bursa!

AJW191

Beginner (10+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Got the Internet trefoils guild form but it mentions sending off the census fee...I'm assuming existing guiders don't need to pay this as we've already paid census via our existing roles/units? Can't see anything that confirms this one way or the other though. I've emailed and tweeted them but not had a reply...did any of you pay again? (Sorry for diverting the thread again..)
Sorry, but yes you do need to pay the census fee - its £10.60 I think ... The TG have nothing to do with GG and are a separate organisation so if you are an active guider with a unit, your unit will pay for you - mine does for me and I pay the TG's fee myself. However the fee is not required until February 22nd.

HTH

AJW191

Beginner (10+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Trefoil Guild has a separate membership from Girlguiding so, as far as |I know you will have to pay a separate census.
Try ringing the TG office if e-mails aren`t working.
The office is manned by volunteers and there are few paid staff. However, if you join the FB Discovery & Trefoil Guild Voyage Awards - Adults only, we have paid & unpaid national TG staff on the group as admins to give guidance and support of the Voyage TG Award as well as other members that give support and share their challenges with the group.

Ezrekia

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
My FIL has a timeshare, and we usually get a week or two each year on it. So somewhere between the two I guess! I didn't realise there was such a thing as a special interest TG - do you go away on boating holidays? What makes it different to any other TG?

I did my service in the community for my Discovery Award working at the National Waterways Museum at Ellesmere Port...
Ooh, Valkyrie is up that way at the moment. We stayed over at Ellesmere last time we were out, and it was beautiful. I don't think I'd realised that there was a National Waterways Museum up there. If we get a day to go exploring when we're next that way I'll see if I can coerce the husband into going for a look-see.

I also have hipand lower back pain ... bursa and the sheath of nerves that sits on top freezes if I sit for too long ie driving the car and its my clutch foot that has the bursa!
Yup, it's my bursa too. I have fibromyalgia so just assumed it was part of that to begin with, but it behaves really differently. I'm lucky in that mine is the other hip though! In case it helps, my Dr injected mine with steroids and it's been like a whole new hip since. It still twinges a bit, but it's so much better than it was.

Hilzo42

Guide Leader (GiC) & Forum Mod!
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Realised it's been ages since I looked at/posted on the thread!

TG does have it's own census, which I don't mind paying as it's something for myself, while my Guiding census is paid for by my District (well, the unit pays first, but it's then refunded). I'm part of the same narrowboating guild as Ally (AJW) and as we're registered at a national level we just pay £10.60 - the Internet Guild would be the same.
If you have already sent joining forms off to HQ then it's possible that they have got them - I sent mine in January 2014 and had no indication I was actually a member until I had my Voyage Award application accepted in March and a copy of the Trefoil Magazine came through my door in April! I now have a membership card that I got sometime in the autumn but they're a new thing. I should look more into my County's guilds too though (as you can be a member of more than one), but haven't gotten round to it yet.

As far as things are going with my award, I have three sections basically done now (bar a write-up and signing off). But I'm massively struggling with the 'Myself' section at the moment. For one reason or another I haven't made any ballet classes this term, so the 40hrs seems very distant when since March I've only racked up 8hrs total. I intend to keep sticking with it - I know I could take up a second thing for the clause, but that feels like a bit of a cop-out or giving up? Plus I'd like to keep something back for Silver & Gold if I choose to continue on!

I also haven't gotten far on the 'Teamwork' but I'm certain something will present itself over the next two Guiding terms to cover that one well enough :)