• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Weekly Discussion: I failed at it so you don’t have to!

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
The past few WDs have been mainly discussion or debate based, I thought it might be nice to throw an activity one in!

Over the past five years or so short videos for craft/activities/cooking/hacks have become very popular. Some of these are not very instructional but may have seemingly good ideas. Lots of the content on the GG FB groups include these type of videos, and one of the most helpful things is knowing- did it actually work?!

Please put below links to activities that you have tried based off a video or “random” webpage (a google find rather than a faithful site) and:
  • If it worked
  • How costly it was (time and finance)
  • If it needed any tweaks to work
  • If it doesn’t work due to regional limitations (for example an ingredient isn’t available for sale in the UK)
  • Other considerations

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
We had a go at making mind jars. It turns out it’s really hard to find a large enough amount of clear glue! There are also very few recipes that don’t call for glitter, so if you are trying to be a glitter free unit it’s tricky! The link we used is no longer active.

Trinny

Veteran (100+ posts)
Ugh, I hate those videos. The crafts usually aren't that good (because they don't take that long), and often don't really teach the girls new skills or techniques. I tend to ignore them for those reasons, but I have done some crafts from Pinterest before. I try and post my version of it to Pintrest after the meeting so that there is a realistic expectation for anyone else trying it!
I prefer to do crafts using the materials we already have, or free materials we can scavenge from elsewhere - we were recently given 20 pairs of white leg warmers and 12 pairs of red leg warmers from a closed down dance school and we made stuffed snowmen. So for me, I look at craft the other way around: not what do I need to make, but what can I make from.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
We made lollypop stick bird feeders. They just didn't go well, we found getting the string in the right place (And staying there to be difficult) and then the lollypop sticks just seemed to slide around...

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
I made these with my own kids
Cheerio Bird Feeders for Kids to Make - Happy Hooligans
Easy to make for Rainbow age (I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old, the 3 year old needed quite a bit of help). However, the birds don't actually like them...
We've made those with the children at Church, the birds didn't like them at all... And it would take my Brownies seconds to do which is why we tried a more 'challenging' one!

MsLaurie

Veteran (100+ posts)
We tried to do “jars with glow worms”, using broken-open glow sticks.
Well that was a total waste of time, just sticky stuff on the floor, nothing much in the jar, and no glow!!

Epona

Veteran (100+ posts)
We tried to do “jars with glow worms”, using broken-open glow sticks.
Well that was a total waste of time, just sticky stuff on the floor, nothing much in the jar, and no glow!!
We've failed at that one too! We did it in the dark in some woodland so it was cold enough for that the mix didn't glow very much. The netting inside the jar helped dispersal quite alot but nothing like the pinterest pic. Our splashes did make the woodland glade a bit spooky for the next few nights though...

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Glow sticks are fun in the bath in the dark but DO NOT as some Pinterest suggestions say, break them open to make the bath water glowing (I didn't - but it would be dangerous!)
They might actually be good in something like a baby bath for a spooky night, in the dark.
Or maybe fishing with a hook-a-duck stick?

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our worst fail was years ago when a Brownie requested that the whole pack try an activity she'd seen in the Brownie magazine. We poured plaster of Paris into egg shells one week and, the week after, all 24 girls sat down to crack the shells off and reveal, the pictures promised, a shape that we could paint up to make cute little owls. Well the plaster was firmly stuck to the shells and although we chipped away for the whole evening, getting increasingly aggressive in the thwacks, we eventually had to give up and admit defeat. Needless to say, we learned our lesson and have never since done a craft with girls that we haven't checked out first!

Fox

Brownie-induced madness
Confession - I have not actually tried any of these activities but I bought this pack of activity cards thinking it would be a good present stash item for my son's coming-up-6 year old friends.

50 Easter Things to Make and Do by Kirsteen Rogers | World of Books.com

They are all much too advanced for Rainbow age - so be warned.
I may do a few of the simpler ones as Easter/Spring activities with Brownies (some are general Spring activities so could be post-Easter).
However many of them are really much more Guide-appropriate.

Epona

Veteran (100+ posts)
Marbelling with shaving foam: who has tried it? Your best tips and tricks please, or your 'what to avoid'!

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Marbelling with shaving foam: who has tried it? Your best tips and tricks please, or your 'what to avoid'!
If doing with Rainbows - watch the one who waves it about and wipes the shaving foam and paint covered paper round your hair! (yes, it happened to me)