1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Discussion: What do you want threads on?

Discussion in 'General Guiding' started by badgemad4, Dec 16, 2017.

What do you like to discuss?

1. Current Issues (in response to announcements or campaigns)

2. History/Heritage

3. Section specific issues/ideas

4. Ideas for meetings/residentials/ activities

5. Being a volunteer

6. Policies and procedures

7. Challenges encountered in Guiding

8. The programme

9. Something else

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

Oct 26, 2011
    I'm in the process of new thread ideas and I have been looking over some of the older threads and seeing what makes for a good discussion. Some threads go for three pages and some don't even have three comments. I'm still full of ideas but I'd like to see what really gets people going!

What would you like to see threads on? Please select all that are relevant, comment on anything I might have missed or if there are threads you don't think would add anything new (I honestly wouldn't be offended!)
  2. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Mar 9, 2008
    Can I be honest? Sometimes I have something to say, and sometimes I mean to say something and I forget, and sometimes I don't, so I don't! I wouldn't take the popularity of threads as an indicator that people aren't interested, as strange as it sounds.

I don't think you've had a single thread with no replies?! So it's all good! I think it's good to have variety too, or have topics where I hadn't thought about that aspect before... sometimes even just to read replies is useful.

I think things are naturally more likely to be quieter for the next few weeks too.

Really appreciate your regular contributions :)
    Willow, Epona and badgemad4 like this.
  3. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

Jul 11, 2008
    Browniebeth is right, sometimes it's not the topic, it's the timing or if it hits a particular nerve that prompts discussion. Sometimes the most vocal discussions are in response to a particular change in policy that is seemed to be 'imposed'

Personally I like the threads where we can share our knowledge or help someone less experienced..just simply swopping ideas are the best so picking a theme, such as best camp cooking recipe, or best get to know you game..

Go for controversy if you want quantity of responses but longlevity is down to usefulness...

Sent from my SGP712 using Tapatalk
    Willow and badgemad4 like this.
  4. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

Mar 29, 2008
    Hopefully this forum can be a really useful source of ideas about how to use the new programme - so once it's all unveiled, people could post how they plan to tackle it. I know there's a lot of variation in how people run the Brownie Adventures so it would be really useful for me to see how that translates to the new programme.

And things like how people plan to run the transition - yes I know it's a year long, but what activities match up with old and new programmes? How can I get girls to finish their blue wedge while also starting girls on their Gold award (for example)? For me, this forum is really good for getting longer answers about programme and guiding specific things, as the FB groups tend to be short answers (and a lot of the posts are just random owl related things tbh!).
    Willow likes this.
  5. Willow

Willow Veteran (100+ posts)

Aug 12, 2008
    Yes, I am looking forward to seeing how the new programme works in practice, not just for our Unit but for others as well.

Badgemad4: Thank you for all you have done with starting discussions. I don't always join in, but I do always read and appreciate them!