• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Weekly Discussion: Who makes the cut, selection of six/patrol leads

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
How does your unit pick its sixer, second, PL, and PS?

Do the girls pick? Do the leaders pick? Do they change every few terms?

What factors do you take into account, age, time in unit maturity…

Please post your section and how they are selected.

Last edited:

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
Our Patrols choose their own PL and then we leave it to the new PL to choose her second, sometimes they do so with the Patrol but that is their choice. It's about 12 months since we last had a change which is about average for our unit.

Glimfeather

Beginner (10+ posts)
Our patrols and PLs are sorted by the leader - her view is it avoids the "little miss popular" and the awkward one always being the last one standing, as she experienced this herself in her youth. With each new batch, she tries to spread them evenly between existing patrols, keep sisters separate and, if possible, put best friends in different patrols to encourage them to mix more. PL is always the oldest in each patrol.

Epona

Veteran (100+ posts)
As Fenris said, Guides vote and the Brownies get chosen.

I do warn Guides that being a Patrol Leader requires organisational skills as they have to sort out, for example, who brings what for next week's activities. That does cut down on the vote being a popularity contest.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Our patrols and PLs are sorted by the leader - her view is it avoids the "little miss popular" and the awkward one always being the last one standing, as she experienced this herself in her youth. With each new batch, she tries to spread them evenly between existing patrols, keep sisters separate and, if possible, put best friends in different patrols to encourage them to mix more. PL is always the oldest in each patrol.
Have never had an issue with that - we explain what's involved and there usually aren't that many volunteers for the role - usually doesn't come down to a vote anyway.

Guides also get to choose which Patrol to join, having been advised how many spaces each has - there are always more spaces than recruits so it is a genuine choice. They tend to know who they can work well with by Guide age, we find.

turnip

Veteran (100+ posts)
My brownies get picked by the leader, it’s done by age most of the time. We also allocate them to sixes, we separate sisters and usually separate best friends, and spread out the new girls.

My Guides, the girls choose their own patrols and patrol leader.

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
When we make a Brownie ring, new girls stand next to their sixer and every time someone else joins she moves along one place. That means most will make their way to the the opposite end of their six one day, and naturally become the seconder. NOT every seconder becomes a sixer, though. We take into account their attendance and punctuality as well as how brill a Brownie they are because the first activity of every night is a six challenge and sixes without Sixers would be at a disadvantage.

BTW, in my various packs, I've only ever heard them being called seconder, but the badge says second and that's the only place I've ever heard that term. Anyone know why we say one but HQ uses another? Which do you use?

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
I’ve always known seconder for Brownies too, but for Guides patrol second. I’m glad I’m not the only one as that was playing on my mind the other day!

Sixer most likely was a seconder or a very competent other older Brownie. She is always at least 8, partly because otherwise even if she is very mature etc it would be leaving less room for progress in the future. She will be a girl who can rise to the challenge of leading her six and isn’t just going to “abuse” her position.

Seconder is the girl who is either getting ready to lead a six, or might not cope well with being a sixer. She will have had at least one term at Brownies.

We try and pair Sixers and seconders who will balance each other out and work well together which has occasionally meant that girls will swap around sixes when moving into a seconder or sixer role (but we wouldn’t move an established girl).

When it comes to who goes where, I as unit leader normally come up with a plan then ask the rest of the team for any suggestions or adjustments the week before it’s announced.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
BTW, in my various packs, I've only ever heard them being called seconder, but the badge says second and that's the only place I've ever heard that term. Anyone know why we say one but HQ uses another? Which do you use?
It has always been 'second' in books so far as I can trace - I suspect it's just because people perceived the Six leader's title as Six-er, they tended to add -er automatically to the second's title.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
For Brownies, we choose. We normally go for the oldest/been in Brownies the longest. There are some exceptions though. On Monday I made a girl a Seconder who has only been with us since January. Although she doesn't know everything about Brownies/Guiding, she is so kind and helpful and really encompasses the attributes a Seconder should be. (She is also nearly 9... I wouldn't do that for a 7 year old!)

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Brownies, we choose. Often it's the older ones and/or who have been in Brownies the longest.

We have a couple of recently-made seconders who have only been with us since September, but they are both 10 this academic year, and much more sensible than some who have been coming longer.

Sixers are always long-standing members of the unit, often oldest but not necessarily. At the moment 1 of my sixers is only just 9, but she acted up from her seconder role for the whole of the last half term and did a brilliant job that she was the natural choice when the vacancy was permanently available.

Equally, we have a girl who is much more immature than the others in the group, even though she'll be 9 in the summer. She is the only one of her joining cohort not currently holding a sixer or seconder role. At the moment, we are trying to get her to develop the qualities we look for by getting her to run the game at the start of Brownies from time to time. I'm hoping to make her a seconder in September.

Pixielation

Brown Owl (x2)
We choose the Sixer and Seconds in our unit, which is a combination of the eldest and most experienced. But I am about to implement a change to our system, whereby they have to prove that they are worthy before they get the badge. I'm creating a checklist/certificate for them to earn their role.

We had Sixer and Second training and talked about the challenges in their sixes, and some of the most disruptive, talkative, inattentive members were actually the seconds. One of the Sixers is also often the disruptive influence.

One of my Sixes has no Sixer, and I have let them all know that until the Second proves to be a good Second, then she wouldn't be promoted. She was happy with that - She's also very young. There is one girl in her six who is older, but is newer, unreliable, disruptive and not leader material at all.

Some of my most "confident" brownies are the ones least likely to be considered at the moment. With a large unit, I am really having to crack down on behaviour, so I want my Sixers and Seconds to be more helpful in that regard!

MsLaurie

Veteran (100+ posts)
Brownies age, we choose both roles. Generally 9yos for leaders, 8yos for seconds, but it depends on the age mix of the group. Seconds are *usually* promoted up, but not guaranteed.

Guides age, the whole unit votes on a first, second, third preferences. 3 points go to first choice, 2 to second, 1 to third. (Secret voting) Votes are tallied (again, in secret)- highest votes are appointed as leaders.
They then choose their seconds, in discussion with the leaders. We encourage them to choose from the girls who got the next most votes, but it’s certainly not required. We then wriggle the patrols to fit the new leadership team in terms of age and personalities mix.
We’ve discussed it with the girls every so often, and they prefer we choose- and that we generally split sisters and split best friends.