1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Weekly Discussion XXI: Handbooks

Discussion in 'General Guiding' started by badgemad4, Oct 2, 2017.

1. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

So by the looks of the latest update we are getting handbooks, and seemingly reasonable at £3.50. Not sure why the award books are going to be separate though?

2. AngliaGuider

AngliaGuider Regular (50+ posts)

My guess is so that they can be updated separately if needed. I suppose that is sensible, particularly at this stage where it is all so new. But the badge/award books are so expensive - £8 for a Guide one!

I am delighted that they've released prices for the unit resources, but as they haven't said how many of each we're going to need, there is still a lot of uncertainty. I've decided to budget for one pack of each for each of the six themes. Hopefully that will be enough for 2018, to give the Guides a feel for the new programme options, and then if they produce more packs I'll buy more the next year. And if it turns out to be some other arrangement needed, at least hopefully there will be a reasonably accurate amount of money in the budget to cope.

3. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Current Brownie Adventure book is something like £7, so won't be far different in price. We can only judge whether it is expensive or not when we see what size it is and how much content there is. Without that info I don't feel I can reasonably judge it at this stage.

4. kingfisherblue

kingfisherblue Veteran (100+ posts)

The prices don't sound excessive to me - after all, the books should last the whole time that a girl is in a section. Take a look at a kid's magazine - about £2.99 - £3.99 on average, and they are throwaway. It puts the cost into perspective.

My wish is that they are fit for purpose, as recent books have been quite poor in terms of keeping a girl informed, excited and keen. I'd like something that the girls really want to use. And of course, I still yearn for a leader's version with extra information in! I'd be happy to pay a decent price for that, if it was going to include all that I need.

fenris likes this.
  5. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

I think the prices sound reasonable for the handbooks, but I'm not sure why the skills builder activities come in sets of 5 when there's 6 themes and 2 skills per theme! I'd rather pay £3 for 6 and get one for each theme.

My other hope is that you don't have to do these exact activities to get the awards. In the current Brownie Adventures, the handbook suggests You Community World activities, but in the Brownie File it says that anything with similar aims/outcomes counts. Hopefully GG will say something similar for this programme too, as Im sure there are units where the activity on the card doesn't suit, or experienced leaders who want more flexibility. Plus, it will help units spread the costs a bit if they don't have to buy all the cards within the year transition phase.

6. Burghilly

Burghilly Veteran (100+ posts)

Obviously we don't know what format the badge book will take yet but I don't think £8 is too excessive. Assuming you do 4 years as a Guide it would only be £2 per YEAR!!

Like someone else mentioned earlier - I do think we sell ourselves short sometimes. Nearly all other hobbies and sports require some kind of uniform/equipment or kit so I think this is fair. ( Yesterday my 7 year old son managed convinced me to buy him a Lego magazine. It cost £5.99!!!! For a magazine :eek:! )

I appreciate for some people though £8 'for a book' is a a significant amount, but there are plenty of ways round making sure everyone can access to it's contents.

I would love it if it had a section for badges to be signed off on completion so over time it become a record of achievement as well as just a syllabus book. This would be something nice to keep for years to come.

7. AngliaGuider

AngliaGuider Regular (50+ posts)

Yes, this would be fabulous. I think that the cost hits me because I'm thinking of both items together - a handbook and a badge book will cost £11.50. We have traditionally given these to our Guides when they join (at least, when they have paid their first subs, signalling that they are definitely joining, rather than at their first meeting). Lately we've given a G File and our own printed copy of the badge syllabi. And we would like to give copies of the new versions to all the Guides - it would be so complicated to say that some girls (new Guides) get them free but others have to pay, and we want to make sure that all girls get them. We've been squirrelling away some money from fundraising since the new programme was announced, but 30x £11.50 is £345 - a lot of fundraising for a new unit who have grown very fast and spent the whole of our first year raising enough money to pay census in February. We had banked on about £8 each, based on the current price for a G File and a few pounds extra for a separate badge book/a bigger handbook including both elements, but this is almost half as much again.

We had intended to raise subs to £9.50 per month (£38 per term) this January and by another 50p/month next Christmas, but we've decided instead to go straight to £10/month (from £9) this year. That will plug the gap and it is a more upfront way of getting money from parents, rather than artificially low subs and then asking them for more via 'fundraising'. Instead, we've got few plans for fundraising activities that don't involve parents paying anything, and we'll do those to subsidise camp costs, but all our standard expenses will be covered by subs.

8. Willow

Willow Veteran (100+ posts)

I learnt how to pack a suitcase from my Brownie handbook! And the correct order for washing up :)

Burghilly likes this.
  9. Willow

Willow Veteran (100+ posts)

Interesting: I use FAR more from DofE resources, teaching resources, and other free-to-use sites (Woodland Trust, crafts, Ordnance Survey...) on the internet in my Guiding, than Guiding resources outside. And masses from Scouting websites :) I'm very glad they don't all have passwords!

We are an educational charity, and if those resources, which already benefit our members, also benefit others, does that matter?