• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Wellies and Wristbands - Foxlease

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Is it worth complaining to CHQ about Fenris? Or would most Scottish units say it's too far? (my geography with regards to distance is appalling)

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
Is it worth complaining to CHQ about Fenris? Or would most Scottish units say it's too far? (my geography with regards to distance is appalling)
It’s because it’s over the August Bank Holiday which isn’t a BH in Scotland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

partygirl

Veteran (100+ posts)
Yep I know that's why they can't come but if it would be too far anyway, it wouldn't be worth complaining about that.

What I mean is, if it were in the middle of the holidays (or at the beginning would be better for Scotland) would they be able to come? Or would the distance be prohibitive anyway?

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
It's not a question of distance, but the fact it's held in termtime. A few units have asked about going Friday to Sunday - we were advised there would be no discount (however token) and we'd have to fix our own transport to the station on the Sunday at our own expense.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Well, look at it another way...when else in the year will everyone be able to have a 4 day holiday ? Yes, leaders can book annual leave but girls don't have that option. It is sad that Scottish units have difficulties on this one but Girlguiding Scotland put on their own version during the Scottish school holidays.

Quack

Veteran (100+ posts)
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Don't know...one year Waddow was full by end of March, last year there were spaces right up the closing date...so always worth checking

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Well, look at it another way...when else in the year will everyone be able to have a 4 day holiday ? Yes, leaders can book annual leave but girls don't have that option. It is sad that Scottish units have difficulties on this one but Girlguiding Scotland put on their own version during the Scottish school holidays.
May.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
G in the Park has been held once, a couple of years ago, so it is not accurate to say there is a regular Girlguiding Scotland one (laying aside the question of funding it).

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Schools in
Not all schools in England get the full week off in May.. my local high school doesn't.
Schools in Scotland don't get a week off in May either but they do get two long weekends, one of which matches the holiday weekend in the rest of the UK.

Lynz

Veteran (100+ posts)
No win situation really. May wouldn't be ideal either as it would rule out a significant proportion of 15-18 year olds due to being exam time, plus uni student volunteers and units run by them, and potentially year 6 kids doing SATs. Also, out of peak summer season, TACs are less likely to have a full complement of seasonal activity staff, so a large scale event with loads of activities running simultaneously might be less feasible.

In terms of how far units are willing to travel, would many would realistically come down to Waddow from Scotland after school on a Friday? I'd be wary of trying to get to Waddow camping event on a term time Friday due to potentially arriving very late, and I'm in the same region (albeit on the border)!

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
No win situation really. May wouldn't be ideal either as it would rule out a significant proportion of 15-18 year olds due to being exam time, plus uni student volunteers and units run by them, and potentially year 6 kids doing SATs. Also, out of peak summer season, TACs are less likely to have a full complement of seasonal activity staff, so a large scale event with loads of activities running simultaneously might be less feasible.

In terms of how far units are willing to travel, would many would realistically come down to Waddow from Scotland after school on a Friday? I'd be wary of trying to get to Waddow camping event on a term time Friday due to potentially arriving very late, and I'm in the same region (albeit on the border)!
Many of our schools have a half day on Friday, so on any weekend we could catch the train from Edinburgh at 1430, and make it down in time to pitch tents in daylight on the Friday evening. We'd need to pack up and leave on the Sunday afternoon.

I have got the fabric that i am going to be using to make it
Have got little bits for my girls.
Have downloaded some of the bands music for my girls to listen to, we as a unit are doing the festival challenge badge which is based on Wellies. So the whole unit will be judging the acts.