1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

What are you doing/done in your units this week? Part 4

Discussion in 'General Guiding' started by *gwen*, Nov 4, 2014.

1. MummySquirrel

MummySquirrel Veteran (100+ posts)

First night back at Guides last night, 2 girls up from Brownies, BP girls made the decision to form their own Patrol, we asked rest of girls to split themselves into 3 Patrols which they did within minutes, no arguments, all happy with their choices. Then came up with ideas for Christmas and ideas for community action, leaders also came up with one or two suggestions - girls will make their decisions in the next couple of weeks. BP girls then organised games for rest of unit. Next week in Patrols they are planning activities for an evening when older Brownies visit our unit later this term and working on the Traditions of Guiding.

2. Burghilly

Burghilly Veteran (100+ posts)

Camp donuts with the guides on stoves outside. I like to try and squeeze in the last few outdoor activities before it gets too dark. Looking forward to getting very sugary & sticky!

3. browniebeth

browniebeth Brownie Leader Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

We were also unsure about the story game but we did it and they loved it...shows what we know!

We're testing an activity next week, fingers crossed that goes ok!

4. Tawnyowl51

Tawnyowl51 Veteran (100+ posts)

First night back and made a wedding card for leader. Chose some of the taster cards, century travel which will be part of Browne traditions badge, plus the dog one plus the soap one which will become a pamper night

5. Batty Owl

Batty Owl Veteran (100+ posts)

Well, Brownies were supposed to be having a planning meeting but we went outside to play some games and the storm winds had brought a lot of small branches down off the oak trees, so we ended up collecting loads of acorns and now have very few ideas of what they would like to do this term. The best laid plans ........

6. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

As I mentioned upthread, our meeting on Monday went really well with the new activities but I couldn't work out why we had so few girls (we should have had 14 but only had 7). Well, I got an email today saying "Hi, Topsy won't be coming back to Brownies as she has another extra curricular that now clashes. This will also affect Mary and Sue <other Brownies who go to Topsy's school>."

Might have been nice to know that last week, but oh well. Really gutted, as another girl has left due to an extracurricular clash and a new girl has decided to go to a different unit with friends. I know this happens to everyone at some point, but I just wanted to vent my frustrations and sadness - I wanted this unit to be of 14, not 9. We don't have a rainbow feeder unit either, so just 1 new starter this term versus 4 girls going to guides and 4 leaving for other reasons. Gutted.

7. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

Trinny, I feel for you. But continue offering brilliant Guiding and you will build your pack back up.

8. Kochanski

Kochanski Veteran (100+ posts)

We were working on the clause about passports for the World Traveller badge and I decided not to provide any master / blank proforma at all. They brought in enough real passports and we spent enough time talking about them that they could then go off and make their own. I said it was fine to be creative and make it for a teddy or imaginary character as long as they had the essentials. Well, we were amazed at the results! The attention to detail was great and the imagination was amazing. Given free choice of colours of paper and card and half an hour, the Brownies made a range of very different passports but we found so much to praise up. We don't have to provide it all for them or restrict them to how we think something should look!

9. mhairilowl

mhairilowl Beginner (10+ posts)

we did 4 senses last monday and will work on the other another week. bit messy. made gloop, did paint sea shell that didn't sound like the sea, tasted some food and smelled some food and bits i picked up. was a good night.

this week 1st night of friends to animal. so have got worksheets and some masks for them to do. hopefully a really easy night.

10. elixa

elixa Regular (50+ posts)

We did a baked bean bridge challenge with our guides: Kit on Twitter here were 2 of the 4 bridges (that most resembled bridges than mountains!)

11. partygirl

partygirl Veteran (100+ posts)

What did we do this week? Don't blooming ask! (See my difficult situations" post!)

12. sandra 100

sandra 100 Veteran (100+ posts)

our girls had a board games night their choice next week is a science night

13. littlerainbow

littlerainbow Rainbow Leader

Last meeting before the October break, yay.
    One leaver and it happens to be her birthday!
    Also one girl making her Promise. It's a PJ, teddy bears' picnic with games night.

14. JJJJ1980

JJJJ1980 Brownie Leader x 3

Last week - Tuesday's had NR Exotics visiting with lots of reptiles, Wednesday's went out for a 2 mile walk, Thursday's had Macmillan coffee event and raised £100. This week I have DC duties tomorrow so visiting another unit, Wednesday is my co leaders turn and Thursday one of my LITs has organised a visit to the vets so easy week for me which is good because I have pretty much lost my voice!

15. Trinny

Trinny Veteran (100+ posts)

We did Farm to Fork Sustainbility Trail at our local Tesco. It was so much fun! The girls looked for fair trade, rainforest alliance and recyclable products and packaging, they tasted chocolate (cocoa bean paste, dark, milk and whites chocolate) and fairtrade bananas. And they got a badge! And it was free!

16. ker-stee

ker-stee SGP Enthusiast GuiderPlus

We went to Pets at Home and it was fab! :D Got to hold Rabbits, Guinea Pigs, Hamsters and Rats (And Locusts!!) Great free evneing!

17. MummySquirrel

We were at Pets at Home last week - Ker-stee, girls all loved it, especially when they were allowed to feed and water the animals. This week we are going to the Town Hall - we can't meet at our usual meeting place for a few weeks so are out and about. Tonight at my other Rainbow unit we are starting to learn about Fire Safety in preparation for our visit to the Fire Station next week.
    Guides last night were making buddy burners and map and compass skills (part of their Traditions of Guiding badge) and completing their planning/practice for a Brownie Invitation Evening they are hosting in 2 weeks time.
    Was pleased last night as 15 deposits brought in for our camp and still another week before deadline.

18. mhairilowl

mhairilowl Beginner (10+ posts)

we did our brownies agility badge yesterday. could of done a whole evening of the girls just doing gymnastic stuff and we did a mini obstacle course for one part as included parts in the course for them to do.

19. MummySquirrel

What great night we had tonight at the Town Hall, we sat in the Council Chambers where we met the Mayor and Mayoress, they asked the girls questions about Rainbows, the girls were told about and shown the mayoral chains and the mace, the town coat of arms etc. We then went into the Mayor's parlour where we saw the Mayor's official robes and hat, as well as the robes and wig of the Chief Executive - they even tried on the wig and sat in the Mayor's chair. Finally we were taken into an entertaining room where we enjoyed cakes and drinks. The Mayor, Mayoressand Attendant were with us for our entire visit and we sang Happy Birthday to the Mayor before we left as today was his birthday.

20. Tawnyowl51

Tawnyowl51 Veteran (100+ posts)

I love this thread, it shows what great guiding is going on all over the country.

Tonight we went wall climbing, one girl made her promise at the top and got a round of applause

MiniMoates likes this.