• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

What are you doing/done in your units this week? Part 4

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
Three lovely young ladies from St John's Ambulance came and taught the Brownies first aid. One used to be one of my Rainbows. I simultaneously feel very old and very proud!

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
Guides- played The Vanishing Postbox, discussed and decided on PL's and came up with some activities they would like to do in next couple of terms.
Rainbows visited Australia as part of Roundabout, sang Cuddly Koalas went outside to track some animals, played Pass by the Didgeridoo and learned about Pre-Junior Guides.

sandra 100

Veteran (100+ posts)
last night we celebrated burns night we had a lady in to do Scottish dancing had haggis (girls not impressed) iron bru and short bread and sang ole langs eine

browniebeth

Brownie Leader
Staff member
GuiderPlus
last night we celebrated burns night we had a lady in to do Scottish dancing had haggis (girls not impressed) iron bru and short bread and sang ole langs eine
Just goes to show every group is different....we had haggis to try, bought it on a whim as we were just doing other Scottish things, cooked it and said "not going to force you but if anyone would like to try haggis put up your hand", fully expecting to bin it after maybe 3 or 4 gave it a go. I was wrong!! Only 3 refused to try it, I also tried it for the first time. Was spicier than I had expected, but I was so chuffed that most were willing to try something new. Success!

mhairilowl

Beginner (10+ posts)
last 2 weeks we have been practicing sewing and threading needles etc and made butterflies for the county's challenge. next week we have got a lady coming with the guide dogs

girls choose to do skills this term.

Christieand

Beginner (10+ posts)
We're doing the Unicorn challenge badge at Guides - last week we made unicorn stress balls (balloons and flour - lots of fun and lots of mess!) and played unicorn horn toss, which thrilled the girls as glow sticks were involved!

The week before that, the girls made dens ("unicorn safe space") in their patrols and then wrote anonymous compliments about one another after decorating their own envelopes to put the compliment slips in.

This week we have a new activity to test from HQ! It involves thinking about all of the jobs that are involved in ordinary objects, to get girls thinking about unusual jobs they might not have considered before.

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
We did the Brownie Story as a game and then split into two groups:

One group did Becoming a Brownie stuff

The other did the Brownie Promise in sign language

dominoka

Beginner (10+ posts)
Rainbows:
last week - made bird cake and talked about being kind and helpful to animals
this week - popcorn night

Guides:
last week - planned Go For Its
this week - carried out GFIs

MummySquirrel

Veteran (100+ posts)
For the last two weeks the Guides have been at the Fire Station completing their Fire Safety badge - on Monday just as they put a test call through for us, a real emergency call came through so we witnessed exactly what happens, the girls were taken into the smokehouse and used a thermal imaging camera to find one of the firefighters, they were shown all the different equipment on the fire engines and then were allowed to try out the fire hoses, they also got chance to watch a crew from another station training.
Both Rainbow groups travelled to South Africa during their meetings where they learned about Teddies, made colourful bead bracelets, tried carrying bowls on their heads and played jumping sticks.

cerys80

Brownie Leader
Gosh, sorry haven't been on for a while! For the last 2 weeks we've been doing one of the sample activity cards - In a Fix. So first week we terrorised large baking potatoes :) while we learnt hammer/nail/plier and screwdriver/screw skills. Then they did some extra sandpapering of small soft wood panels that my husband had cut and I had belt sanded ready. Stuck on a paper template with marks to make a star shape ready for week 2.

Week 2 was very noisy! They all nailed through their paper templates, removed them and started stringing up their star with embroidery threads. A few finished, but most took them home to finish off. A great activity and no injuries!

Have to say just the activity from the card would have been very boring - definitely need to add in doing something with the new skills.

JJJJ1980

Brownie Leader x 3
Tuesday's theme was Canada so chocolate Inukshuk men, indoor hockey and good evening friend brownie with different greetings as part of World Traveller Badge.
Wednesday's theme was owls - owl and mouse, owl hearing game, promise owls and owl pancakes.
Thursday was Chinese New Year - lanterns, tangrams and chinese writing.

mhairilowl

Beginner (10+ posts)
monday we did a mixture of sewing, practice with hammers and screws and knot making.
this monday hopefully doing first aid or doing more sewing and knot making and some other skills based stuff.

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
Week 1 of first aid, they all had a go at cpr, 999 and recovery position, next week it's slings bandages burns and choking

We have bought an inflatable cpr dummy in the district, a good investment as it means we don't always need to get in red cross or st john's but can still cover that cpr bit for advanced badge.

sandra 100

Veteran (100+ posts)
our girls invited their mums grans or an auntie to join our meeting they joined in with our brownie ring, watched an enrolment then did crafts with their daughters and then the girls made their mums tea or coffee and a cake as part of their hostess badge

Kochanski

Veteran (100+ posts)
My one leaver organised our Easter party as her leaving party and ran the evening herself. She ran parachute games, pass the parcel, splat and the inevitable Brownies Got Talent and did a brilliant job. We also made lolly stick rabbits, judged the 'what can you make with a chick?' competition, ate buns 2 lovely girls made at home and brought in, completed the designer and computer badges that we lost a week on due to snow ... wow, how did we fit it all in? It was a fun night. I love when the oldest can run things themselves, and the younger ones watch them and know their turn will come.