1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Where do the Jubilee badges go on the Guide uniform?

Discussion in 'Diamond Jubilee' started by kirsch, Feb 6, 2012.

1. kirsch

kirsch Beginner (10+ posts)

Is there a designated place to put the Jubilee badge or can they go where ever the girls decide to put them?

2. jennthedeadfunkyranger

jennthedeadfunkyranger Guide Guider GuiderPlus

Wherever you decide to sew them on. My Guides have them on their Guide bags along with the rest of their badges - they all put their sew on badges on there, and some put their pin badges on too rather than hvaing to keep taking them off their uniform and losing them

3. Cazbly

Cazbly Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)

Where-ever they want.............. oh gone are the days when this type of badge had a set place, it was actually easier being told.

4. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

Anywhere (or nowhere), as with all badges. If they choose to wear them at all, they choose where.

5. RMT

RMT Guide Leader GuiderPlus

I have actually had a parent ask where to put the badges on that her daughter has received, Why did GGUK ever change it to what ever goes??

6. Marie

Marie Guide Guider

I think it all started with the Jeff Banks uniform and the push to make things less formal - I wasn't in Guiding at the time so I don't know for sure, but that's the impression I've got.

I occasionally get asked by a girl or parent where to put certain badges and my stock answer is "it's up to you". Most of my Guides wear their badges on their uniform but there is a great variety in arrangement from the very ordered to the very random!

7. TJ.

TJ. Wonder Woman In Training

Even with the Jeff Banks uniform, there was still a set order to where your badges went on your sash!

8. Marie

Marie Guide Guider

Oops - I never knew that. I started as a leader when it was still Jeff Banks uniform and I don't recall ever seeing anything official about what badges were supposed to go where on the sash - though I am also fairly sure that not all our Guides wore their sashes!

I know that when the Ally Cappellino uniform came in, it became optional for the girls to put badges on their uniform at all - though I do like it when they do, and it makes it easier to answer questions about whether I've given a particular Guide a certain badge if we can just check her top!

9. chipmunk!

chipmunk! District Commissioner

We are going to put them on our neckers, next to our county badge. That way we will be able to see them!

10. Dolly

Dolly Veteran (100+ posts)

On our sashes we put the sew-on World Badge at the top, leave 3 inches for pin badges and then interest badges go underneath. We've put the Jubilee badge above the World Badge, so it is in the same place on every sash. Showed the Guides some pictures of HM as a guide back in the day. They weren't impressed by the headwear or the socks!!!!

11. Hilary

Hilary Guide Guider and District Commissioner GuiderPlus

Our Guides are wearing them top left on their tops, like the Scouts - the ones who've displayed them at all that is!

12. elenopa

elenopa Brownie Guider

I don't think there was. Certainly with the Brownies I don't remember a guide being printed.

13. KatieW

KatieW Guide Guider, Nottingham Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

No there wasn't. I was a YL when the change was made and there was nothing officially produced by GGUK to say what went where. There may have been local or unit guidelines however.

14. Cazbly

With TJ on this - sash guides were definitely issued from a National Level as to where badges should be placed.

Unit name tapes and county badges went on shoulder. Then if I remember correctly working down the front from the shoulder (I cannot access my old file at the moment as in the middle of furniture shuffling) - birthday badges for brownies/8 points for guides, Promise (and world badge). six/patrol badge, Sixer/Second/PL/PS stripes, then below that - specials - Footpath/Roadway/Highway/Venture - for Brownies, Service Flash/Collective Emblems/Biennials for Guides. Of course, the specials would have covered the centenary badges/Golden Jubilee Badges etc.

To the back for both - interest badges.

We had a full colour chart of uniform choices - with badge placement mapped out.

15. KatieW

KatieW Guide Guider, Nottingham Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

That's something I've never seen before. Apologies TJ!
    Would be interested in a scan of that if you found it Cazbly!

16. Diamond

Diamond Veteran (100+ posts)

Yes no rules but that does not stop you adding some rules to your Unit Guidelines.
    We added Gilet and Necker so that we have something basically resembling a uniform.
    They can still choose to put badges on to bags or Blankets but they can put them on the Gilet as well.
    Best thing is though that Gilet does not get washed so often so the pin on badges go on and stay on.
    I suggested placing it on above left breast as Scouts do. But we have not gone for them in the end as they are so Boring we are going to get the nice Tolleys one instead.

17. nemoimo

nemoimo Veteran (100+ posts)

Yeah, I remember having that order on my Brownie and Guide sashes. I'm pretty sure that the handbooks had a little diagram of badge placement too (or it was in the book you filled in as a Brownie before you made your promise).

18. Cazbly

I will have a search with pleasure for you.... we are in a bit of chaos as my sister moves at the end of the week and we have a lot of her stuff in storage at the moment, so as soon as that goes, I will have a search because I am sure I will have kept it!

19. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

When the sashes came out, other than a suggestion that name tapes should go over the shoulder, there was no national guidance on where badges should be worn. Many people were uncomfortable with this.

20. vickey

vickey Veteran (100+ posts)

During jb times the brownie handbook or leaders handbook said that packs can set there own sash badge positions, at least it did in 2000 when I opened -and I checked all the rules as we were the first to have coloured neckers so had the rules to show anyone who questioned it!
    We continued with the gilets and when guides opened they wanted positions too so set them the same way. We have changed it slightly now to fit the jubilee badge