• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Where do the Jubilee badges go on the Guide uniform?

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
When the sashes came out, other than a suggestion that name tapes should go over the shoulder, there was no national guidance on where badges should be worn. Many people were uncomfortable with this.
As I say, I had a full guidance document issued and not a local thing............. it was pinned on our notice board for the best part of a year. This is not a figment of my imagination and it was being followed across numerous different counties/regions.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
Why dont they just put an offical guideline to be followed for certain badges (promise, sixer, patrol leader, county,interest) then have freedom for any other badges, it would be nice to see organised looking people! At Brownies half have come up with a neat set up that they follow other literaly stick them any where (and it doesnt look good). However I can see how it can work for Rainbows and Brownies where the badges are roughly the same shape/size but Guide ones are all different and for Senior Section we have no interest badges *sad face* yet what do we do with event badges, county and region?
It could be introducted with new sets of handbooks (another thing WHY no handbook for SS? CDs cant be taken to meetings and books/folders etc are so much more practicle!)

Diamond Jubilee has been put at the top of my sleeve, everyone else in my unit has yet to sew on, apart from one who has put it strait on her balnket as only wants to have to sew it on once.

captain1

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
in fact I was told at the start of this uniform change the only place officially is on the Jilet [don't know if that is how you spell it] or camp blanket but as most of my Guides can't afford a jilet they just sew round the bottom of uniform after being at the 2010 camp it was amazing to see where all the badges were sewn.

fenris

fenris
GuiderPlus
Why dont they just put an offical guideline to be followed for certain badges (promise, sixer, patrol leader, county,interest) then have freedom for any other badges, it would be nice to see organised looking people! At Brownies half have come up with a neat set up that they follow other literaly stick them any where (and it doesnt look good). However I can see how it can work for Rainbows and Brownies where the badges are roughly the same shape/size but Guide ones are all different and for Senior Section we have no interest badges *sad face* yet what do we do with event badges, county and region?
It could be introducted with new sets of handbooks (another thing WHY no handbook for SS? CDs cant be taken to meetings and books/folders etc are so much more practicle!)

Diamond Jubilee has been put at the top of my sleeve, everyone else in my unit has yet to sew on, apart from one who has put it strait on her balnket as only wants to have to sew it on once.
Some of our Brownies have sashes and sew their badges on, some keep their badges in their Brownie box, some I don't know what happens to them. Since we have mix-and-match uniforms it would be difficult to define positions for badges on the different garments.

badgemad4

Veteran (100+ posts)
In the adventure books they could put a guideline for sash/guilet for brownies,then revelvent for other sections, like they used to or have agreed district/divison/ county (?) instructions...?

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
I tell parents to start at the top, sew them close together, and work their way down. I don't worry too much if fun badges go on the sashes or hoodies, since there seems to be no official layout so it's just a case of personal preferences. And if anyone wishes to complain ( not on here!!, I mean people who are in postions of authority) then when they can find the official layout and show me I will do something about it. We never had any guidance document in this area

ker-stee

SGP Enthusiast
GuiderPlus
In the adventure books they could put a guideline for sash/guilet for brownies,then revelvent for other sections, like they used to or have agreed district/divison/ county (?) instructions...?
And what about for groups where sash's or gilets can't be afforded? My girls all have a second hand top, and I doubt many could afford any extra pieces of uniform...

ElfOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I must admit that when I was a Brownie leader, I got so fed up of parents asking where on the sash (unit had sashes) to sew unit nametape, county silk and six emblem, etc., that OH drew a diagram for me of a sash showing approximately where to put each badge. This got given out on their promise night when they were given all the badges. Parnets didn't ask teh question, just sometimes asked for another copy as they had lost the original. I know there is no set place any more for badges, but in my experience, parents seeem think there is and prefer to be told where to put the badges.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I know there is no set place any more for badges, but in my experience, parents seeem think there is and prefer to be told where to put the badges.
I wonder if that's because many parents were Brownies/Guides when there were set places for badges?

ElfOwl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I wonder if that's because many parents were Brownies/Guides when there were set places for badges?
Possibly, I did wonder that myself, but to be honest, I think it looks better if the badges are in the same/similar place for everyone or maybe that is becasue I am from the era when there were rules on badge placement.

RMT

Guide Leader
GuiderPlus
I get parents asking about guide badges all the time, they are suprise when i tell them where ever they want.