1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

World Thinking Day On Air

Discussion in 'General Guiding' started by Elaine-Melanie, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Elaine-Melanie

Elaine-Melanie Veteran (100+ posts)

Hi

I am organising with our local amatuer radio people to have World Thinking Day On Air; they are going to bring their equipment to our hall etc., and all is okay for that. However, I am a bit confused; has anyone ever done this before and what is the procedure, because I think I am not 'getting' something with it.

Basically, I understand that
    1. I invite members to attend event etc.
    2. Radio people turn up as arranged with equipment.
    3. Members chat on air with other Units.

My questions I suppose are:-
    1. How do I know which other units are taking part and when they will be on air so we can chat?
    2. Is it an appointment sort of chat or do you just tune your radio and hope to get another guiding unit rather than Bill down the road?

I just don't get it - any help in plain simple language would be helpful.

Thanks.

2. fenris

fenris fenris GuiderPlus

1. although there are some locations/venues which will advertise their participation in advance (e.g. World Centres), there will also be groups in random locations.
    2. because it's a separate frequency you won't just get Bill down the road, but there aren't appointments so it is chancy who you will get (depends on weather conditions, etc.

You will need to have some activities to keep the girls occupied between link-ups as there can be long gaps - often useful to have them linked to the theme. One of the most useful is to spend time on getting them to 'script' what they might say when they do get connected up, so that they aren't floundering. So a little script giving some information about their unit and where they live (bear in mind that if you are contacting units abroad you will need to translate UK Guiding jargon). You can also do activities around phonetic alphabet (useful for spelling out names and place names) and some basics of how the radio works (aerial, transmitting, receiving etc). Quizzes, wordsquares, puzzles - and if you get an international connection, reference sources so they can then go on to find out more about the country they were just speaking to . . .

3. Ech18

Ech18 Veteran (100+ posts)

Hi glad to hear you are giving this a go, there is some useful info on this page and one of the linked pages
    World Thinking Day on the Air - Radio Society of Great Britain - Main Site : Radio Society of Great Britain – Main Site

Absolutely agree he with fenris you need some activities going on the side and a little script for when you get a contact.

You register (mostly) that you are taking part and you can see who else has registered(see link above) and there is no reason you can’t set up a time slot with other units (if you will make a contact is quite another matter) but if you know someone else taking part it does no harm to at least align times.

Equally Bill will be on air and some Radio Hams really love talking to the kids and a contact is a contact for this type of thing!

If you let me know the times/ frequencies and call sign you plan to be on i’ll ask my friendly ham to try and make a contact for you. I had to buy him a badge for JOTA this year!

Be prepared to not get anything so make sure the day will be great fun even if they only get to hear one person. The weather plays a big part in the success of this technology!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  4. NosilaC

NosilaC Regular (50+ posts)

We did a similar event a few years ago with help from our local Radio Amateurs Club - we did get to speak to a few Guides & Brownies overseas, but our lead contact had also primed some of his friends to be one air. The Brownies loved chatting with them - but we did have one rather concerned mum who contacted us afterwards to say she wasn't happy with her daughter having 'chatted to strange men' on the radio. Once we'd explained that these were only the known contacts of our local Radio Amateurs Club, and not lots of 'strange' men, and that Guiding leaders were in the room overseeing the proceedings at all times, she was fine - but with hindsight it might have been better if we'd included the fact that the girls might be talking to members of other Radio Amateur Clubs on the consent form (we had included details of the Radio Amateurs Club that were organising the event for us hough).

Agree re suggestions of doing other activities as well - we tied it in with the Communicator Badge, and (off the top of my head) did things like: making morse code necklaces (long and short beads to represent the dots and dashes of letters to spell out the girls name, with a star bead to seperate letters); learning to sing Campfire's Burning in Makaton; decorating gingerbread person biscuits in uniforms of Brownies in other countries. Sure there were more, but it was several years ago so those are the ones that have stuck in my mind...