• Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread

Question? Writing to the Queen

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
My Guides have made congratulations cards for the Queen and I'm going to send them off tomorrow. I've written a letter to go with them but am struggling - I'm no good at writing letters!

This is what I've got so far - any suggestions on what to put and how to finish it?

Your Majesty,

I am sending you these Congratulation cards that have been made by the members of 28th Parkdale Guides, Nottingham.

We are a small group of Guides from inner-city Nottingham and have been celebrating the Diamond Jubilee in many ways, and one of the activites chosen was to make and send cards congratulating you on 60 years as Queen of the United Kingdom.

Yours in Guiding,

KW, J
28th Parkdale Guides
I'm not sure what should go after that, and not sure if I should end "yours in Guiding" or something else?!!

I'm also going to get the girls to sign this letter too, as well as the cards they've made.

Cazbly

Darth Vader (12,500+ posts)
That will be perfectly fine.... if anybody else tweaks it, it ceases to be from the heart, so just go for it :)

daisy

Veteran (100+ posts)
GuiderPlus
Looks good to me. We sent one to the Queen when she was 80 from the Rainbows and I was so pleased when we got a Thank You letter from Buckingham Palace.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
Thanks, I'll keep as it is, just think if I need another paragraph in there or not. Here's hoping we get a reply!

kathrynha

Veteran (100+ posts)
Definately think it's fine. Letters written by an individual saying what they think will be a lot more interesting to read than letters written in a rigid and structured format, that will of caused it to lose it's meaning.

And yes you should get I reply. I believe everyone that sends a letter to the queen gets a reply. Not neccessarily from the queen, but from someone at the palace, and having seen the replies my Grandad has had when he has written to thank her for anniversary cards, I would say the letters are individually written by someone that has actually read your letter, not just a standard reply.

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
definitely looks good to me

can I just ask, what address are you using for sending cards? (thinking of doing same with rainbows, and I'd want to do it fairly soon before postage increased! lol) - know there was a thread while back with the address to use (but I can't find it at the moment!)

The HT at school told us that when her Granny got her 100year birthday mention from the Queen, she didn't want people to know how old she was, so sent it back!

Toodles

Beginner (10+ posts)
GuiderPlus
The letter looks good. The rainbow unit I've been helping at sent a card made by the rainbows to the queen for her diamond jubilee, we got a lovely diamond jubilee thank you card back

Marie

Guide Guider
The HT at school told us that when her Granny got her 100year birthday mention from the Queen, she didn't want people to know how old she was, so sent it back!
That's a shame for whoever organised it. These days cards are not sent automatically for a 100th birthday - a member of the family has to apply to the palace to request that a card be sent from the Queen. My uncle and aunt arranged a card from the Queen for my Granny's 100th birthday - she was much more impressed by that than by the one from the Minister responsible for the DWP!

Squirrel-Nutkin

The Wicked Witch of the West (15,000+ posts)
you have to supply copy of birth certificate too - so it would have taken a bit of time and effort for person who secretly applied for the 100th card :)

my grandparents were very proud of their diamond anniversary message from the queen (for that you have to supply copy of wedding certificate)

quietbrownowl

Veteran (100+ posts)
I'm liking this idea. We have 20 brownies so do you think it would be ok to send 20 cards and a letter from the leaders? Our brownies would argue if they just had 1 card to work on together! Also what address would we send it to?

Tawnyowl51

Veteran (100+ posts)
give each girl a piece of A5 or A6 paper or card, then combine them into one big one. so they don't have to argue about what goes on it, but it all comes together as one big effort

Send to
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II,
Buckingham Palace,
London,
SW1A 1AA.

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I'm liking this idea. We have 20 brownies so do you think it would be ok to send 20 cards and a letter from the leaders? Our brownies would argue if they just had 1 card to work on together! Also what address would we send it to?
Each Guide made a card and I sent them all along with a covering letter. I meant to post on this thread that I did get a reply. It was, I thought, a little impersonal (it was a pre-printed card that wasn't even signed) BUT the Guides loved it and were very impressed!

KeriF

Regular (50+ posts)
we gave all our brownies a small square of card for a drawing. The following week they all made crowns and had the unit picture taken. We are sticking all the small cards to a large piece of card (like a patchwork) with the photo and all the girls signatures on the back

KatieW

Guide Guider, Nottingham
Staff member
GuiderPlus
I never be alble wite letter to queen I worry if spell things wrong on letter.
I agree with Sari - I wouldn't be too bothered about it, I'm sure that the Queen wouldn't worry too much if your letter wasn't spelt right. If you want to write then go for it!