1. Welcome Guest to the new look forum. For more information refer to this thread
    Dismiss Notice

Young leader and subs

Discussion in 'Finances and Fundraising' started by Glimfeather, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Glimfeather

Glimfeather Beginner (10+ posts)

One of my Senior Section is also a young leader with a Brownie unit. On GO, her main role is our unit but she hasn't attended for aaages, and her mum confirmed today she doesn't want to come back. Our other leader says she will still have to pay subs to us, even though she isn't attending. Is this right? I feel a bit awkward asking the parents for money when she doesn't come but likewise it feels a bit unfair to the brownie unit if I take her off our unit on GO.

2. SuziOwl

SuziOwl Beginner (10+ posts)

If she isn't attending your unit then I would just take her off GO for unit. Her main role would then default to the Brownie unit where she is a YL. They would then either pay for her or ask parents for subs depending on their policy. But out of courtesy I would let the Brownie unit know you will be removing her. Be quick though. Only got till midnight on 19th to make changes.

fenris likes this.
  3. badgemad4

badgemad4 Veteran (100+ posts)

Just to check, when you say subs do you mean cencus/annual membership fees?

I only ask because I know that there is sometimes confusion around if YLs “have” to also be a member of a TSS unit (they don’t). She certainly doesn’t have to continue to be linked to your unit and pay there.

Agree with Suzie owl, give the Brownie unit notice and change her on Go. Most units pay for their YLs if they attend regularly anyway.

4. Glimfeather

Yes, census. I'll try and speak to the brownie leader, don't really want to dump it on her a week before the deadline

5. Oldie

Oldie (Newbie)

The Brownie Unit should be happy to pay her subs if she helps there.

Sent from my XT1700 using Tapatalk

6. Quack

Quack Veteran (100+ posts) Staff Member Moderator GuiderPlus

The thing is that, so much depends on budgets. The Brownies will probably happy to pay but I always think that it is rough when a girl has two roles, one where she pays a weekly subscription presumably including some element of her annual census included but it is the leadership role where she gives her time that is expected to pay her census.

This isn't the case here but the brownie unit would need time to budget for the cost of another leader. Not all units have the funds immediately to hand. There is nothing to replace communication and understanding between units in these circumstances so those with two roles are treated fairly.

7. Glimfeather

Update - I spoke with the Brownie leader and she was happy for me to end her role with my unit on GO.

Oldie and badgemad4 like this.